News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British shoppers retain penchant for offline shopping
Shoppers in Britain continue to prefer a visit to the stores to shopping online, and new research commissioned by Vouchercodes.co.uk and conducted by YouGov discovers the reasons why.
The touchy-feely aspect of shopping in a physical store continues to be a major reason why fewer than half (41%) of consumers in the UK are totally content with shopping online.
The need to see an object, in the flesh, before making a purchase decision was cited by 30% as the reason they prefer to shop in a store. The remainder of the top five reasons behind the preference for offline shopping are:
- 21% dislike the hassle of having to return an item at the Post Office;
- 21% are put off by the lack of product information online;
- 19% harbor concerns about the security of their personal information and payment details online;
- 18% prefer the social aspect of shopping in a store.
Even those who already shop online regularly have some items they refuse to purchase online. One in five of the 2,000 UK adults surveyed said they have never bought clothing online and one in eight say they never will. Another 43% have never bought groceries online and 25% say they never will.
"The high street experience is still hugely important and online shoppers still use it as part of the shopping process," says Marina McKeever, senior sales director at Vouchercodes.co.uk. "Brands who want to be truly successful will need to adapt their strategies to become more multichannel, encouraging consumers to interact with brands through a range of channels, regardless of where they end up transacting."
Image via Shutterstock
- Forecast: App economy to surpass $100b by 2020
- Report: Retail, tech lead for mobile video
- Report: Pressure is on for security pros
- High viewability goals damaging ad campaign performance
- Retail: In-app purchases increasing as a percentage of digital sales
- Two countries, two different spending trends for Valentine's Day
- Ad Roundup: Platforms to improve data, prevent fraud
- Survey: SMBs getting out the vote
Featured White Papers
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...