News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brands: Why Facebook ads may not be a cure-all
With so many consumers in the social space brands need to be there, too, right? Yes, and no, according to one expert who says that while a social network presence may be of benefit for many brands, paying for social advertising is likely not.
Ted Dhanik, President of engage:BDR, notes four problems with Facebook advertising: click fraud, ad costs, targeting issues and lack of organic reach. According to Dhanik, engage:BDR clients are reporting that upwards of one-third of clicks on their Facebook ads are coming from bots rather than actual consumers. Couple that with high CPMs and lack of targeting and many aren't getting their money's worth on the advertising.
"Facebook is making it even harder to reach people without shelling out for these expensive placements. Brands' organic Facebook reach is crashing. In March, a new study from Ogilvy found that the reach of organic posts had declined from 12.05% in October to just 6.15% in February--and the study says a source from Facebook hinted that organic reach will approach zero in the foreseeable future," said Dhanik. "Brands that have relied on organic reach will be pressured to pay for ads. This extra demand for Facebook inventory will spike prices even more."
Where, then, should brands take their ad dollars? Dhanik believes the smart marketers will take another look at premium inventory - which can be found all over the web because so many advertisers are pushing more ad dollars into social.
"A lot of inventory from comScore Top 1000 Publishers is available and more affordable--you just need tools to appraise it accurately. Good DSPs rely on billions if not trillions of data points to predict the ROI of each buy, so you don't have to play a guessing game," said Dhanik.
More from engage:BDR and Dhanik later this week, including how brands can make the most of ad placements.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...