News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
From call screening to call blocking, fewer Americans are picking up the phone - even for people they know. That according to new data out from Harris Poll and WhitePages. According to the survey people are blocking calls from businesses and exes - as you might imagine - but they are also blocking calls from friends.
The Consumer Call Blocking study found that about one in five consumers have used a call blocking app or feature to avoid unwanted calls; of those who have used these features 65% report their reasoning as avoiding telemarketers. As for who is blocking calls - moms and dads are more likely to block calls than adults without children in the house and Millennials were more likely than Boomers or Seniors to have call blocking apps on their phones.
Other interesting findings include:
• 44% block calls because of spam
• 26% block calls because of pranks
• 21% block calls because they're receiving calls from an old owner of their number
"As mobile phones have overtaken landlines, Americans have had to deal with a lot of unwanted calls going to their cell phone," said Lori Roth, Director of Mobile Products, WhitePages. "Whether it's telemarketers or spam, one of the recent phone scams like One Ring, or simply unwanted calls from people you know, these calls can feel particularly invasive on mobile and we're seeing the need for call blocking, from basic to extreme, continue to steadily increase."
Most (60%) of those surveyed say they regularly block numbers they don't recognice, 20% block exes phone numbers and 15% have blocked friends when they are busy. About 17% say they've blocked debt collector calls.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...