News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
From call screening to call blocking, fewer Americans are picking up the phone - even for people they know. That according to new data out from Harris Poll and WhitePages. According to the survey people are blocking calls from businesses and exes - as you might imagine - but they are also blocking calls from friends.
The Consumer Call Blocking study found that about one in five consumers have used a call blocking app or feature to avoid unwanted calls; of those who have used these features 65% report their reasoning as avoiding telemarketers. As for who is blocking calls - moms and dads are more likely to block calls than adults without children in the house and Millennials were more likely than Boomers or Seniors to have call blocking apps on their phones.
Other interesting findings include:
• 44% block calls because of spam
• 26% block calls because of pranks
• 21% block calls because they're receiving calls from an old owner of their number
"As mobile phones have overtaken landlines, Americans have had to deal with a lot of unwanted calls going to their cell phone," said Lori Roth, Director of Mobile Products, WhitePages. "Whether it's telemarketers or spam, one of the recent phone scams like One Ring, or simply unwanted calls from people you know, these calls can feel particularly invasive on mobile and we're seeing the need for call blocking, from basic to extreme, continue to steadily increase."
Most (60%) of those surveyed say they regularly block numbers they don't recognice, 20% block exes phone numbers and 15% have blocked friends when they are busy. About 17% say they've blocked debt collector calls.
Image via Shutterstock
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
- Top 4 investments to make in 2015
- Researchers use Yelp to predict a restaurant's chances of survival
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...