News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
Google Play store revenues are growing fast, according to app ranking and analytics firm App Annie, and it continues to have a huge lead over Apple in respect of downloads.
Growth in emerging markets is behind Google Play's increase in downloads, according to App Annie's latest market index report for Q1 2014. Downloads from Google Play exceeded those on Apple's App Store by a whopping 45% in the first quarter of this year. Russia and Brazil have been on the rise for some time now, but Mexico and Turkey also had a strong influence on Google Play downloads in Q1.
However, while Google Play might lead the way in terms of downloads, Apple's App Store generates far more revenue - 85% more.
But, that revenue gap is closing with revenues on Google Play rising fast - growing 55% from Q4 2012.
The category driving growth in both app stores is games, according to App Annie's report. Games accounted for around 90% of revenue on Google Play and 75% on Apple's App Store. Meanwhile 'Tools' such as anti-virus and security apps saw big gains in Google Play and 'Finance' grew in revenue on iOS during the U.S. tax season.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: New tools to track, serve ads
- How to maximize your content marketing strategy
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
Featured White Papers
- Use Social Data To Improve Your Social Marketing Maturity
We all have social data - and lots of it. But are you using it effectively? A brand's social data...