News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
Spending on the Android mobile platform continues to grow and, for the first time, mobile advertising traffic has exceeded that of iOS, according to new data from mobile ad firm Opera Mediaworks.
During Q1 2014, traffic to ads originating from devices running the Android platform accounted for 42.8% of the ads Opera Mediaworks serves. That compares with 38.2% on iOS devices.
The lion's share of ad impressions came from Samsung devices, accounting for 60% of impressions from Android devices followed by LG (11%) and Motorola (5.7%). Android continues to increase mobile ad monetization, too, accounting for over 33% of revenue in Q1 2014 compared to 26.7% in the first quarter of 2013.
Opera Mediaworks' report also delved into UK data revealing the popularity of iOS in the country - 55% of ad impressions came from Apple's platform and 66.9% of ad revenue. Interestingly, the vast majority of mobile ad impressions came from apps - 72% compared to just 31% globally and 30% of UK mobile advertising features video - far more than the global average of 2.5%.
Just last week, the latest App Annie market index report for Q1 2014 revealed that downloads from Google Play exceeded those on Apple's App Store by a whopping 45%.
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
Featured White Papers
- Everything You Need to Know About Social Media for Your Business
While social media practitioners must continue to expect and adapt to change, it is important to take note of the...