News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
Spending on the Android mobile platform continues to grow and, for the first time, mobile advertising traffic has exceeded that of iOS, according to new data from mobile ad firm Opera Mediaworks.
During Q1 2014, traffic to ads originating from devices running the Android platform accounted for 42.8% of the ads Opera Mediaworks serves. That compares with 38.2% on iOS devices.
The lion's share of ad impressions came from Samsung devices, accounting for 60% of impressions from Android devices followed by LG (11%) and Motorola (5.7%). Android continues to increase mobile ad monetization, too, accounting for over 33% of revenue in Q1 2014 compared to 26.7% in the first quarter of 2013.
Opera Mediaworks' report also delved into UK data revealing the popularity of iOS in the country - 55% of ad impressions came from Apple's platform and 66.9% of ad revenue. Interestingly, the vast majority of mobile ad impressions came from apps - 72% compared to just 31% globally and 30% of UK mobile advertising features video - far more than the global average of 2.5%.
Just last week, the latest App Annie market index report for Q1 2014 revealed that downloads from Google Play exceeded those on Apple's App Store by a whopping 45%.
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...