News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
Spending on the Android mobile platform continues to grow and, for the first time, mobile advertising traffic has exceeded that of iOS, according to new data from mobile ad firm Opera Mediaworks.
During Q1 2014, traffic to ads originating from devices running the Android platform accounted for 42.8% of the ads Opera Mediaworks serves. That compares with 38.2% on iOS devices.
The lion's share of ad impressions came from Samsung devices, accounting for 60% of impressions from Android devices followed by LG (11%) and Motorola (5.7%). Android continues to increase mobile ad monetization, too, accounting for over 33% of revenue in Q1 2014 compared to 26.7% in the first quarter of 2013.
Opera Mediaworks' report also delved into UK data revealing the popularity of iOS in the country - 55% of ad impressions came from Apple's platform and 66.9% of ad revenue. Interestingly, the vast majority of mobile ad impressions came from apps - 72% compared to just 31% globally and 30% of UK mobile advertising features video - far more than the global average of 2.5%.
Just last week, the latest App Annie market index report for Q1 2014 revealed that downloads from Google Play exceeded those on Apple's App Store by a whopping 45%.
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to increase viewability, deflate fraud
- Expert: The most important social metrics for brands
- Smartphones reach new milestone in U.S.
- 400% rise in alcohol advertising not turning U.S. into country of drunks
- Survey uncovers negative attitudes towards wearable tech
- Survey: A little research goes a long way for salespeople
- Mobile Roundup: Payment options, partnerships announced
- Top 5 tips for overworked SMBs
Featured White Papers