News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts never used
Twitter's 'dark pool' could be as much as 44% of account holders, according to recent statistics reported by Twopcharts.
The number of people who created a Twitter account and never used it is significant, according to third-party site Twopcharts that monitors Twitter activity. They report that 44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts have never seen any action - not even a single Tweet.
Even among the 550 million or so accounts that have seen activity a significant number, 43%, haven't seen any activity in more than a year.
Furthermore, less than half (47%) of all accounts have added a profile image and even less, 24%, have added a profile description. Just 30% of all users have created just 1 to 10 Tweets and only 13% of registered users have more than 100 Tweets under their belt.
However, as Twopcharts told the Hindustan Times, the 44% of users than have never sent a Tweet doesn't mean that those accounts are dormant as those users may still be using the social platform to read timelines and stay informed.
Businesses and brands that establish a Twitter presence and fail to maintain it to engage with consumers are playing a 'dangerous game' according to Eptica's Olivier Njamfa commenting on his recent research into customer contact channels.
"This could well backfire, leading to negative feedback spreading through the social network and damaging their overall brand," he said.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile video a compliment to TV
- Mobile sites leaving customers hungry
- Survey: Most create videos as keepsakes
- Ad RoundUp: Ecommerce deployments key in on data
- Online and mobile shopping experience still failing to meet consumer expectations
- Which products have the highest online browse-to-buy correlation?
- Millennials: Speed and high-quality images the difference between bounce or buy on mobile
- Smartphone shopping up but revenue remains low
Featured White Papers
- 7 ways the mobile consumer changes everything infographic
Download the infographic "7 Ways the Mobile Consumer Changes Everything" to learn how to optimize your web content for mobile,...
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...