News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts never used
Twitter's 'dark pool' could be as much as 44% of account holders, according to recent statistics reported by Twopcharts.
The number of people who created a Twitter account and never used it is significant, according to third-party site Twopcharts that monitors Twitter activity. They report that 44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts have never seen any action - not even a single Tweet.
Even among the 550 million or so accounts that have seen activity a significant number, 43%, haven't seen any activity in more than a year.
Furthermore, less than half (47%) of all accounts have added a profile image and even less, 24%, have added a profile description. Just 30% of all users have created just 1 to 10 Tweets and only 13% of registered users have more than 100 Tweets under their belt.
However, as Twopcharts told the Hindustan Times, the 44% of users than have never sent a Tweet doesn't mean that those accounts are dormant as those users may still be using the social platform to read timelines and stay informed.
Businesses and brands that establish a Twitter presence and fail to maintain it to engage with consumers are playing a 'dangerous game' according to Eptica's Olivier Njamfa commenting on his recent research into customer contact channels.
"This could well backfire, leading to negative feedback spreading through the social network and damaging their overall brand," he said.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...