News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts never used
Twitter's 'dark pool' could be as much as 44% of account holders, according to recent statistics reported by Twopcharts.
The number of people who created a Twitter account and never used it is significant, according to third-party site Twopcharts that monitors Twitter activity. They report that 44% of Twitter's 982 million accounts have never seen any action - not even a single Tweet.
Even among the 550 million or so accounts that have seen activity a significant number, 43%, haven't seen any activity in more than a year.
Furthermore, less than half (47%) of all accounts have added a profile image and even less, 24%, have added a profile description. Just 30% of all users have created just 1 to 10 Tweets and only 13% of registered users have more than 100 Tweets under their belt.
However, as Twopcharts told the Hindustan Times, the 44% of users than have never sent a Tweet doesn't mean that those accounts are dormant as those users may still be using the social platform to read timelines and stay informed.
Businesses and brands that establish a Twitter presence and fail to maintain it to engage with consumers are playing a 'dangerous game' according to Eptica's Olivier Njamfa commenting on his recent research into customer contact channels.
"This could well backfire, leading to negative feedback spreading through the social network and damaging their overall brand," he said.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...