News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: February floods lead to rise in ecommerce sales
The wet weather in Britain was the reason behind the flood of online sales in the country during February, according to the latest ecommerce sales figures released by the British Retail Consortium.
Water levels rose and high street sales fell in February. But the water level wasn't the only thing to rise - online sales did, too.
Non-food item sales rose by 14.3% in the UK in February compared to the same period last year, accounting for 17.5% of all retail sales, according to the British Retail Consortium's Online Retail Sales Monitor.
At the same time, high street sales fell by 1% as shoppers headed online rather than brave the flood waters and storms.
"Online sales continued to show strong growth in February for what is generally a relatively quiet, mid-season month. Overall the 17.8% sales growth average from the last three months is significantly higher than the 12-month average of 12.7%," said Helen Dickinson, director general of the British Retail Consortium.
"These figures underline the importance of retailers' omnichannel offers, with online sales boosting what would otherwise have been declining sales figures for half of all categories."
Image via Shutterstock
- Snapchat beats Facebook for daily video views
- Global study reveals 'authenticity deficit' among brands
- Report: Video is video regardless of screen
- Study: US mobile app experience low
- Top 4 tips to succeed at Mother's Day email
- Ad Roundup: New solutions for personalization, collaboration
- How brands can better manage social
- How data impacts marketing automation
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...