News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: February floods lead to rise in ecommerce sales
The wet weather in Britain was the reason behind the flood of online sales in the country during February, according to the latest ecommerce sales figures released by the British Retail Consortium.
Water levels rose and high street sales fell in February. But the water level wasn't the only thing to rise - online sales did, too.
Non-food item sales rose by 14.3% in the UK in February compared to the same period last year, accounting for 17.5% of all retail sales, according to the British Retail Consortium's Online Retail Sales Monitor.
At the same time, high street sales fell by 1% as shoppers headed online rather than brave the flood waters and storms.
"Online sales continued to show strong growth in February for what is generally a relatively quiet, mid-season month. Overall the 17.8% sales growth average from the last three months is significantly higher than the 12-month average of 12.7%," said Helen Dickinson, director general of the British Retail Consortium.
"These figures underline the importance of retailers' omnichannel offers, with online sales boosting what would otherwise have been declining sales figures for half of all categories."
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...