News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: February floods lead to rise in ecommerce sales
The wet weather in Britain was the reason behind the flood of online sales in the country during February, according to the latest ecommerce sales figures released by the British Retail Consortium.
Water levels rose and high street sales fell in February. But the water level wasn't the only thing to rise - online sales did, too.
Non-food item sales rose by 14.3% in the UK in February compared to the same period last year, accounting for 17.5% of all retail sales, according to the British Retail Consortium's Online Retail Sales Monitor.
At the same time, high street sales fell by 1% as shoppers headed online rather than brave the flood waters and storms.
"Online sales continued to show strong growth in February for what is generally a relatively quiet, mid-season month. Overall the 17.8% sales growth average from the last three months is significantly higher than the 12-month average of 12.7%," said Helen Dickinson, director general of the British Retail Consortium.
"These figures underline the importance of retailers' omnichannel offers, with online sales boosting what would otherwise have been declining sales figures for half of all categories."
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile Roundup: New solutions, partnerships to help mobile brands
- Expert: Non-Profits can thrive in the online space
- Mobile Roundup: Mobile wallets upping the retail ante
- Report: US, UK users vulnerable because of passwords
- Study: Images linked to email success
- Millennial Media: Video increases engagement
- UK brands fail to improve customer service response rates
- 53% of marketers crave more customer data
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...