News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: February floods lead to rise in ecommerce sales
The wet weather in Britain was the reason behind the flood of online sales in the country during February, according to the latest ecommerce sales figures released by the British Retail Consortium.
Water levels rose and high street sales fell in February. But the water level wasn't the only thing to rise - online sales did, too.
Non-food item sales rose by 14.3% in the UK in February compared to the same period last year, accounting for 17.5% of all retail sales, according to the British Retail Consortium's Online Retail Sales Monitor.
At the same time, high street sales fell by 1% as shoppers headed online rather than brave the flood waters and storms.
"Online sales continued to show strong growth in February for what is generally a relatively quiet, mid-season month. Overall the 17.8% sales growth average from the last three months is significantly higher than the 12-month average of 12.7%," said Helen Dickinson, director general of the British Retail Consortium.
"These figures underline the importance of retailers' omnichannel offers, with online sales boosting what would otherwise have been declining sales figures for half of all categories."
Image via Shutterstock
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...