News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Two audiences for iSTB marketing revealed
Marketers of Internet set-top boxes and those in related industries are currently marketing to too young an age group. New research by The Diffusion Group has revealed two main target audiences - early-Millennials and late-Boomers.
The demand for over-the-top (OTT) video content on television sets, as well as sales of Internet set-top boxes (iSTB) is set to continue climbing. The Diffusion Group's research found that while 14% of households with broadband use iSTBs, 29% are likely to purchase one.
Furthermore, of those already using iSTBs, 48% are likely to purchase an additional one, most likely for multi-room use.
"The fact that current iSTB owners are significantly more likely than non-owners to buy an iSTB speaks volumes about the multi-room future of iSTBs," said Michael Greeson, co-founder of TDG and director of research. "This in no way diminishes the extent of new demand, but it speaks to the fact that once a household owns an iSTB and understands its benefits, they want it on all their TVs.
In terms of the audience for iSTB devices, there are two distinct groups - early Millennials (25-34) and late Boomers (45-54).
However, according to Greeson, current marketing of iSTBs is aimed at a younger age group (18-24) that, despite seeing the benefits of an iSTB "use a net-to-TV device they already own, most likely a game console".
Image via Shutterstock
- Less than half of consumers satisfied with retail app experience
- Study: Order struggles a problem for B2B
- Ad Roundup: Solution expansions, investments
- Expert: Consent, Identity key for businesses
- UK ad viewability levels stagnate
- Ecommerce Roundup: Shipping, experience key to satisfaction
- Survey: Recruiting a struggle for IT departments
- Study: Mobile consumers want control
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...