News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Two audiences for iSTB marketing revealed
Marketers of Internet set-top boxes and those in related industries are currently marketing to too young an age group. New research by The Diffusion Group has revealed two main target audiences - early-Millennials and late-Boomers.
The demand for over-the-top (OTT) video content on television sets, as well as sales of Internet set-top boxes (iSTB) is set to continue climbing. The Diffusion Group's research found that while 14% of households with broadband use iSTBs, 29% are likely to purchase one.
Furthermore, of those already using iSTBs, 48% are likely to purchase an additional one, most likely for multi-room use.
"The fact that current iSTB owners are significantly more likely than non-owners to buy an iSTB speaks volumes about the multi-room future of iSTBs," said Michael Greeson, co-founder of TDG and director of research. "This in no way diminishes the extent of new demand, but it speaks to the fact that once a household owns an iSTB and understands its benefits, they want it on all their TVs.
In terms of the audience for iSTB devices, there are two distinct groups - early Millennials (25-34) and late Boomers (45-54).
However, according to Greeson, current marketing of iSTBs is aimed at a younger age group (18-24) that, despite seeing the benefits of an iSTB "use a net-to-TV device they already own, most likely a game console".
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 4 email worst practices and solutions
- Ad Roundup: Releases, partnerships focus on data
- Expert: How SMB owners can embrace the CMO title
- New AI technology optimizes mobile video ad campaigns
- eSports' social following growing faster than traditional sports
- Omnichannel retail strategy key to SME success
- UK: Post-Brexit sees rise in overseas online orders
- Study: Time spent with top 100 apps up 10%
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...