News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top tips to improve referral strategy
Referral marketing isn't new; it's existed as long as advertising has. However, the online space is pushing deeper engagement for some because of marketers' ability to target and scale campaigns. One expert offers his top tips to improve a referral marketing strategy.
What's new in referral marketing is the breadth, depth, and control advertisers receive through scalable technology.
"Some basic online programs, for example, involve contacting the company via an email or filling out a form backed by a rudimentary or manual business process. Not surprisingly, those programs don't scale," said Matt Roche, CEO Extole. "You can now make referrals a meaningful source of acquisition by being able to easily promote, personalize, and improve a referral campaign using many of the techniques that marketers use for search, display, ratings and reviews, testing, and even merchandising."
Roche suggests that marketers can acquire as much as 40% of their new customers through a referral channel. The key is in the strategy.
"The most important thing to keep in mind is that you're building a new channel leveraging a very powerful tool, your existing customers," said Roche. "It's an acquisition source based on the passion that your everyday customers have for your brand and products. And, it's an iterative process. Assuming your product or brand is appealing, you'll get conversions as soon as you start. The big opportunity though is building the channel in the same way that you built up your search practice, for example."
Why focus on referral marketing? Because of the lifetime value of the customers acquired through referral campaigns - they tend to be more loyal and to have higher lifetime values, says Roche. Referral customers also tend to refer more themselves by advocating for the brands they enjoy.
Image via Shutterstock
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...