News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top tips to improve referral strategy
Referral marketing isn't new; it's existed as long as advertising has. However, the online space is pushing deeper engagement for some because of marketers' ability to target and scale campaigns. One expert offers his top tips to improve a referral marketing strategy.
What's new in referral marketing is the breadth, depth, and control advertisers receive through scalable technology.
"Some basic online programs, for example, involve contacting the company via an email or filling out a form backed by a rudimentary or manual business process. Not surprisingly, those programs don't scale," said Matt Roche, CEO Extole. "You can now make referrals a meaningful source of acquisition by being able to easily promote, personalize, and improve a referral campaign using many of the techniques that marketers use for search, display, ratings and reviews, testing, and even merchandising."
Roche suggests that marketers can acquire as much as 40% of their new customers through a referral channel. The key is in the strategy.
"The most important thing to keep in mind is that you're building a new channel leveraging a very powerful tool, your existing customers," said Roche. "It's an acquisition source based on the passion that your everyday customers have for your brand and products. And, it's an iterative process. Assuming your product or brand is appealing, you'll get conversions as soon as you start. The big opportunity though is building the channel in the same way that you built up your search practice, for example."
Why focus on referral marketing? Because of the lifetime value of the customers acquired through referral campaigns - they tend to be more loyal and to have higher lifetime values, says Roche. Referral customers also tend to refer more themselves by advocating for the brands they enjoy.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Brands need localization as well as translation
- Expert: Why omnichannel needs to be a priority
- Top 3 tips to ensure content is global-ready
- Survey: SMBs missing out by not being online
- Report: State of mobile travel
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...