News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips for SMBs this tax season
Less than a month until business owners are pulling all-nighters to finish off 2013 tax forms. A new survey from Xero, however, indicates the cloud may be helping some ward off some of the tax season stress. Here are their top 3 tips for SMBs to flourish through tax season.
"Tax time is stressful for most of my clients. Keeping tabs on existing rules and regulations is complicated enough, and new legislation like the Affordable Care Act and changes in the tax code further muddies the waters," said Tom Compere, Xero XPAC Member and manager, RBZ Accounting. "In this time of ever-changing market conditions, it is imperative that financial data is up-to-date, easily accessible and comprehensive in order to be prepared for anything."
First, keep the communication lines open. Most business owners talk to their accountants only when it is necessary. But Xero's experts insist it is important to have an on-going conversation - about spending, goals and employee plans.
Second, don't mix business with home. Yes, you can run a small business out of your home, but be very careful about how you spend business money versus 'home' money - Xero's experts suggest having credit cards that are specifically for the business, not using cash for business lunches or other small expenditures and keeping receipts throughout the year.
Finally, let the cloud be your umbrella.
"The biggest mistakes small business owners make include not keeping their financial records up to date, not budgeting & forecasting financials annually and not meeting with an accounting professional regularly," writes the company.
Image via Shutterstock
- Barclays Bank launches Twitter payments
- Advertising for young children looks promising on a new YouTube app for kids
- Twitter responses to customer queries slow and sloppy
- App channel worth over £4 billion to UK brands
- Facebook: 2 million advertisers milestone and new mobile ad manager
- Alternative to Dropbox and Box
- Use response to welcome emails to predict future subscriber engagement
- Ecommerce saves Brits 200 million miles in shopping trips per week
Featured White Papers
- How to Promote and Measure Hashtag Campaigns
A single hashtag can connect your brand messaging across each of the major social networks. Learn how hashtags can be...