News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips for SMBs this tax season
Less than a month until business owners are pulling all-nighters to finish off 2013 tax forms. A new survey from Xero, however, indicates the cloud may be helping some ward off some of the tax season stress. Here are their top 3 tips for SMBs to flourish through tax season.
"Tax time is stressful for most of my clients. Keeping tabs on existing rules and regulations is complicated enough, and new legislation like the Affordable Care Act and changes in the tax code further muddies the waters," said Tom Compere, Xero XPAC Member and manager, RBZ Accounting. "In this time of ever-changing market conditions, it is imperative that financial data is up-to-date, easily accessible and comprehensive in order to be prepared for anything."
First, keep the communication lines open. Most business owners talk to their accountants only when it is necessary. But Xero's experts insist it is important to have an on-going conversation - about spending, goals and employee plans.
Second, don't mix business with home. Yes, you can run a small business out of your home, but be very careful about how you spend business money versus 'home' money - Xero's experts suggest having credit cards that are specifically for the business, not using cash for business lunches or other small expenditures and keeping receipts throughout the year.
Finally, let the cloud be your umbrella.
"The biggest mistakes small business owners make include not keeping their financial records up to date, not budgeting & forecasting financials annually and not meeting with an accounting professional regularly," writes the company.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...