News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips for SMBs this tax season
Less than a month until business owners are pulling all-nighters to finish off 2013 tax forms. A new survey from Xero, however, indicates the cloud may be helping some ward off some of the tax season stress. Here are their top 3 tips for SMBs to flourish through tax season.
"Tax time is stressful for most of my clients. Keeping tabs on existing rules and regulations is complicated enough, and new legislation like the Affordable Care Act and changes in the tax code further muddies the waters," said Tom Compere, Xero XPAC Member and manager, RBZ Accounting. "In this time of ever-changing market conditions, it is imperative that financial data is up-to-date, easily accessible and comprehensive in order to be prepared for anything."
First, keep the communication lines open. Most business owners talk to their accountants only when it is necessary. But Xero's experts insist it is important to have an on-going conversation - about spending, goals and employee plans.
Second, don't mix business with home. Yes, you can run a small business out of your home, but be very careful about how you spend business money versus 'home' money - Xero's experts suggest having credit cards that are specifically for the business, not using cash for business lunches or other small expenditures and keeping receipts throughout the year.
Finally, let the cloud be your umbrella.
"The biggest mistakes small business owners make include not keeping their financial records up to date, not budgeting & forecasting financials annually and not meeting with an accounting professional regularly," writes the company.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...