News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent daily on social networks up from 5% to 12%
In the last two years, the amount of time spent communicating via digital channels has increased significantly, according to new research from the Institute of Practioners in Marketing.
The latest TouchPoints5 data from the IPA reveals that more consumers are using the Internet for more time on a daily basis, little wonder when data shows that almost half of consumers now own a smartphone and over a quarter (27%) own a tablet.
Overall, the numbers of adults that now use the Internet each week us up from 80% in 2012 to 86% and the time spent per day up to nearly two and a half hours from 1 hour and 56 minutes in 2012.
In terms of what people are doing on line - time spent social networking is up from 5% of time in 2012 to 12% and 12% of time is spent emailing, up from 6% in 2012.
While smartphones enable users to talk to one another, half (49%) of all adults use a a smarthphone for activities other than this for an average of 1 hour and 30 minutes per day. Younger users are more apt to use their smartphone for non-talking/texting activities - 78% among all those age 15-24 do so for 1hour and 52 minutes each day.
"Our lives are changing at an unprecedented rate, and as the new TouchPoints5 data clearly shows us, emerging technologies are revolutionizing how we communicate, how we entertain ourselves, and how we spend our time and money," says Lynne Robinson, IPA Research Director, IPA. "These changes are been spearheaded by the younger age groups whose mobile devices are the dominant force in their lives."
Consumers are also doing more of their shopping online. In 2012, 92% of shopping was done in-store but this has now fallen to 90%. Fiver percent of shopping is now done via a PC, 2% by smartphone and 2% via tablets.
Image via Shutterstock
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
- UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
- Release makes push notifications actionable
- Early results show skipping ads improves engagement
- Top 3 tips to better personalize online campaigns
- Pinterest gives businesses a deeper peek into their Pinners
- Parents give retailers advice on making back-to-school shopping more bearable
- Study reveals impact of mobile use on Japanese students' grades
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...