News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent daily on social networks up from 5% to 12%
In the last two years, the amount of time spent communicating via digital channels has increased significantly, according to new research from the Institute of Practioners in Marketing.
The latest TouchPoints5 data from the IPA reveals that more consumers are using the Internet for more time on a daily basis, little wonder when data shows that almost half of consumers now own a smartphone and over a quarter (27%) own a tablet.
Overall, the numbers of adults that now use the Internet each week us up from 80% in 2012 to 86% and the time spent per day up to nearly two and a half hours from 1 hour and 56 minutes in 2012.
In terms of what people are doing on line - time spent social networking is up from 5% of time in 2012 to 12% and 12% of time is spent emailing, up from 6% in 2012.
While smartphones enable users to talk to one another, half (49%) of all adults use a a smarthphone for activities other than this for an average of 1 hour and 30 minutes per day. Younger users are more apt to use their smartphone for non-talking/texting activities - 78% among all those age 15-24 do so for 1hour and 52 minutes each day.
"Our lives are changing at an unprecedented rate, and as the new TouchPoints5 data clearly shows us, emerging technologies are revolutionizing how we communicate, how we entertain ourselves, and how we spend our time and money," says Lynne Robinson, IPA Research Director, IPA. "These changes are been spearheaded by the younger age groups whose mobile devices are the dominant force in their lives."
Consumers are also doing more of their shopping online. In 2012, 92% of shopping was done in-store but this has now fallen to 90%. Fiver percent of shopping is now done via a PC, 2% by smartphone and 2% via tablets.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- How dark social can impact brand
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...