News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent daily on social networks up from 5% to 12%
In the last two years, the amount of time spent communicating via digital channels has increased significantly, according to new research from the Institute of Practioners in Marketing.
The latest TouchPoints5 data from the IPA reveals that more consumers are using the Internet for more time on a daily basis, little wonder when data shows that almost half of consumers now own a smartphone and over a quarter (27%) own a tablet.
Overall, the numbers of adults that now use the Internet each week us up from 80% in 2012 to 86% and the time spent per day up to nearly two and a half hours from 1 hour and 56 minutes in 2012.
In terms of what people are doing on line - time spent social networking is up from 5% of time in 2012 to 12% and 12% of time is spent emailing, up from 6% in 2012.
While smartphones enable users to talk to one another, half (49%) of all adults use a a smarthphone for activities other than this for an average of 1 hour and 30 minutes per day. Younger users are more apt to use their smartphone for non-talking/texting activities - 78% among all those age 15-24 do so for 1hour and 52 minutes each day.
"Our lives are changing at an unprecedented rate, and as the new TouchPoints5 data clearly shows us, emerging technologies are revolutionizing how we communicate, how we entertain ourselves, and how we spend our time and money," says Lynne Robinson, IPA Research Director, IPA. "These changes are been spearheaded by the younger age groups whose mobile devices are the dominant force in their lives."
Consumers are also doing more of their shopping online. In 2012, 92% of shopping was done in-store but this has now fallen to 90%. Fiver percent of shopping is now done via a PC, 2% by smartphone and 2% via tablets.
Image via Shutterstock
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...