News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent daily on social networks up from 5% to 12%
In the last two years, the amount of time spent communicating via digital channels has increased significantly, according to new research from the Institute of Practioners in Marketing.
The latest TouchPoints5 data from the IPA reveals that more consumers are using the Internet for more time on a daily basis, little wonder when data shows that almost half of consumers now own a smartphone and over a quarter (27%) own a tablet.
Overall, the numbers of adults that now use the Internet each week us up from 80% in 2012 to 86% and the time spent per day up to nearly two and a half hours from 1 hour and 56 minutes in 2012.
In terms of what people are doing on line - time spent social networking is up from 5% of time in 2012 to 12% and 12% of time is spent emailing, up from 6% in 2012.
While smartphones enable users to talk to one another, half (49%) of all adults use a a smarthphone for activities other than this for an average of 1 hour and 30 minutes per day. Younger users are more apt to use their smartphone for non-talking/texting activities - 78% among all those age 15-24 do so for 1hour and 52 minutes each day.
"Our lives are changing at an unprecedented rate, and as the new TouchPoints5 data clearly shows us, emerging technologies are revolutionizing how we communicate, how we entertain ourselves, and how we spend our time and money," says Lynne Robinson, IPA Research Director, IPA. "These changes are been spearheaded by the younger age groups whose mobile devices are the dominant force in their lives."
Consumers are also doing more of their shopping online. In 2012, 92% of shopping was done in-store but this has now fallen to 90%. Fiver percent of shopping is now done via a PC, 2% by smartphone and 2% via tablets.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....