News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent daily on social networks up from 5% to 12%
In the last two years, the amount of time spent communicating via digital channels has increased significantly, according to new research from the Institute of Practioners in Marketing.
The latest TouchPoints5 data from the IPA reveals that more consumers are using the Internet for more time on a daily basis, little wonder when data shows that almost half of consumers now own a smartphone and over a quarter (27%) own a tablet.
Overall, the numbers of adults that now use the Internet each week us up from 80% in 2012 to 86% and the time spent per day up to nearly two and a half hours from 1 hour and 56 minutes in 2012.
In terms of what people are doing on line - time spent social networking is up from 5% of time in 2012 to 12% and 12% of time is spent emailing, up from 6% in 2012.
While smartphones enable users to talk to one another, half (49%) of all adults use a a smarthphone for activities other than this for an average of 1 hour and 30 minutes per day. Younger users are more apt to use their smartphone for non-talking/texting activities - 78% among all those age 15-24 do so for 1hour and 52 minutes each day.
"Our lives are changing at an unprecedented rate, and as the new TouchPoints5 data clearly shows us, emerging technologies are revolutionizing how we communicate, how we entertain ourselves, and how we spend our time and money," says Lynne Robinson, IPA Research Director, IPA. "These changes are been spearheaded by the younger age groups whose mobile devices are the dominant force in their lives."
Consumers are also doing more of their shopping online. In 2012, 92% of shopping was done in-store but this has now fallen to 90%. Fiver percent of shopping is now done via a PC, 2% by smartphone and 2% via tablets.
Image via Shutterstock
- Experiences - not amenities - create most social media chatter about hotels
- Younger consumers will share personal data in exchange for more accurate search results
- Forecast: App store spend to increase 33%
- Report shows Southwest winning digital airline wars
- Expert: Why unsubscribes aren't necessarily bad
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...