News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Forget campaigns, get personal with Millennials
Have a great product for Millennial consumers? Forget the all-out television, radio, print and online campaigns. According to new data out from SDL the best way to reach and engage Millennials is to get personal and build a relationship.
The big problem is that most (66%) of Millennials say they 'don't know' if brands can market to them correctly. Why? Because currently they aren't being reached or engaged with traditional campaigns. According to the report:
• 5 in 6 Millennials connect with brands via social media with Facebook, Twitter and YouTube ranking highest
• 60% engage via social networks for discounts or freebies (55%)
• 60% say they 'like it' when brands engaged with them without selling - by sending a greeting card on their birthday, for example
"There is an important transformation taking place in the minds of the current and next wave of consumers regarding how they choose to interact with brands," said Paige O'Neill, CMO of SDL. "The traditional marketing funnel is now irrelevant, making traditional campaigns extinct. Brands must break through millennials' personal junk filter with relevant, valuable and non-promotional interactions, for a longer-term view of building brand advocacy. It won't happen immediately, but brands who shift their focus from a campaign approach to one focused on the customer experience will see the most success."
How can businesses do a better job to advertising to Millennials who don't necessarily want to be advertised to?
First, get the scoop on data. Look for ways to hyper-segment lists and hyper-target messaging based on particular behaviors and use data to create consistent and relevant messaging.
Second, get real. Don't think about social media as a way to 'sell' more products, think of it as a way to engage the consumer to build awareness. This will help to increase engagement - so when they see an ad they react - but will also build a referral base through their connections and friendship.
Third, track the data collected each day so that you can see trends and use those trends to build more relevant messages.
Image via Shutterstock
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...