News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Forget campaigns, get personal with Millennials
Have a great product for Millennial consumers? Forget the all-out television, radio, print and online campaigns. According to new data out from SDL the best way to reach and engage Millennials is to get personal and build a relationship.
The big problem is that most (66%) of Millennials say they 'don't know' if brands can market to them correctly. Why? Because currently they aren't being reached or engaged with traditional campaigns. According to the report:
• 5 in 6 Millennials connect with brands via social media with Facebook, Twitter and YouTube ranking highest
• 60% engage via social networks for discounts or freebies (55%)
• 60% say they 'like it' when brands engaged with them without selling - by sending a greeting card on their birthday, for example
"There is an important transformation taking place in the minds of the current and next wave of consumers regarding how they choose to interact with brands," said Paige O'Neill, CMO of SDL. "The traditional marketing funnel is now irrelevant, making traditional campaigns extinct. Brands must break through millennials' personal junk filter with relevant, valuable and non-promotional interactions, for a longer-term view of building brand advocacy. It won't happen immediately, but brands who shift their focus from a campaign approach to one focused on the customer experience will see the most success."
How can businesses do a better job to advertising to Millennials who don't necessarily want to be advertised to?
First, get the scoop on data. Look for ways to hyper-segment lists and hyper-target messaging based on particular behaviors and use data to create consistent and relevant messaging.
Second, get real. Don't think about social media as a way to 'sell' more products, think of it as a way to engage the consumer to build awareness. This will help to increase engagement - so when they see an ad they react - but will also build a referral base through their connections and friendship.
Third, track the data collected each day so that you can see trends and use those trends to build more relevant messages.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
- UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...