News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Forget campaigns, get personal with Millennials
Have a great product for Millennial consumers? Forget the all-out television, radio, print and online campaigns. According to new data out from SDL the best way to reach and engage Millennials is to get personal and build a relationship.
The big problem is that most (66%) of Millennials say they 'don't know' if brands can market to them correctly. Why? Because currently they aren't being reached or engaged with traditional campaigns. According to the report:
• 5 in 6 Millennials connect with brands via social media with Facebook, Twitter and YouTube ranking highest
• 60% engage via social networks for discounts or freebies (55%)
• 60% say they 'like it' when brands engaged with them without selling - by sending a greeting card on their birthday, for example
"There is an important transformation taking place in the minds of the current and next wave of consumers regarding how they choose to interact with brands," said Paige O'Neill, CMO of SDL. "The traditional marketing funnel is now irrelevant, making traditional campaigns extinct. Brands must break through millennials' personal junk filter with relevant, valuable and non-promotional interactions, for a longer-term view of building brand advocacy. It won't happen immediately, but brands who shift their focus from a campaign approach to one focused on the customer experience will see the most success."
How can businesses do a better job to advertising to Millennials who don't necessarily want to be advertised to?
First, get the scoop on data. Look for ways to hyper-segment lists and hyper-target messaging based on particular behaviors and use data to create consistent and relevant messaging.
Second, get real. Don't think about social media as a way to 'sell' more products, think of it as a way to engage the consumer to build awareness. This will help to increase engagement - so when they see an ad they react - but will also build a referral base through their connections and friendship.
Third, track the data collected each day so that you can see trends and use those trends to build more relevant messages.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...