News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study finds voters look to live streaming, not TV voting coverage
Looking ahead to the mid-term elections fewer people will be watching poll numbers on television and more will be following election results online. That according to new data which indicates voting consumers are spending less time, overall, with television and more with other screens.
The study was conducted with Google, Targeted Victory (R), Well & Lighthouse (D) and the Public Opinion Strategies (R) and Global Strategy Group (D); an infographic of the report can be found here. Their findings show that the average American vote spends about 10 hours per week watching 'live' television but spends more than 12 hours per week with time-shifted or 'off grid' programming.
The data also shows:
• Voter time spent online is up 35%, with mobile is up 80% and with tablets up 117%
• Researchers found a 23% increase in streaming, 6% increase in DVR use and a 5% decrease in DVD use
• In 2012 voters spent about 56% of their time with live TV, in 2014 they spend 48%
• In 2012 voters spent 9% of time online and in 2014 are spending 10% of their time
Part of the increase on mobile screens is because there are more people who own smartphones and tablets in 2014 than in 2012, but it is also interesting to note that voters are also multi-tasking. The research shows more than 40% are using smartphone/tablets while watching television, which shows they are engaging across screens.
What does this mean for the mid-term elections? The study is an indicator that advertisers or brands sponsoring election coverage should include an online component - a call to action to visit a web or mobile site, for example. It is also an indicator that more of the political ad spend may be shifted into the mobile and online spaces for the upcoming elections.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...