News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study finds voters look to live streaming, not TV voting coverage
Looking ahead to the mid-term elections fewer people will be watching poll numbers on television and more will be following election results online. That according to new data which indicates voting consumers are spending less time, overall, with television and more with other screens.
The study was conducted with Google, Targeted Victory (R), Well & Lighthouse (D) and the Public Opinion Strategies (R) and Global Strategy Group (D); an infographic of the report can be found here. Their findings show that the average American vote spends about 10 hours per week watching 'live' television but spends more than 12 hours per week with time-shifted or 'off grid' programming.
The data also shows:
• Voter time spent online is up 35%, with mobile is up 80% and with tablets up 117%
• Researchers found a 23% increase in streaming, 6% increase in DVR use and a 5% decrease in DVD use
• In 2012 voters spent about 56% of their time with live TV, in 2014 they spend 48%
• In 2012 voters spent 9% of time online and in 2014 are spending 10% of their time
Part of the increase on mobile screens is because there are more people who own smartphones and tablets in 2014 than in 2012, but it is also interesting to note that voters are also multi-tasking. The research shows more than 40% are using smartphone/tablets while watching television, which shows they are engaging across screens.
What does this mean for the mid-term elections? The study is an indicator that advertisers or brands sponsoring election coverage should include an online component - a call to action to visit a web or mobile site, for example. It is also an indicator that more of the political ad spend may be shifted into the mobile and online spaces for the upcoming elections.
Image via Shutterstock
- Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
- Retail websites' home pages failing to load fast enough
- U.K. ecommerce websites improve delivery options to tap overseas customers
- Forecast: More to invest in multi-screen ads
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
- Top 3 tips for SMBs using webinars
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
Featured White Papers
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...