News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media presence diminishes consumer trust in retailers
More than half of online shoppers in the UK trust retailers less of they have a presence on a social networking platform, according to startling new research findings from market researchers YouGov SixthSense.
The hype that being on social media does wonders for brand awareness and customer service may not be quite how customers see it. In its new report, 'Ecommerce: Trust in Online Transactions', for which just over 1,000 UK adults aged 16 and over were surveyed, YouGov SixthSense found that 55% trust a retailer less if their store has a presence on social media.
Just 27% said they would trust a retailer more.
Worse still, according to James McCoy, Research Director at YouGov, is that "younger, more social media savvy consumers are the ones who have the greatest objections to using their Facebook and Twitter accounts for shopping". Instead, he added, they prefer to keeping shopping and social separate.
Furthermore, social networking sites featured low in shoppers' online research with just 10% using them as a source of information. Instead, online shoppers were more likely to view reviews on a retailer's website (60%), use shopping comparison sites (48%) or view consumer reviews on third party sites (40%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Nielsen: Generations bucking preconceived notions of behavior
- Study reveals shopping habits not influenced by Black Friday flash sales
- Study: Shoppers plan to spend more, save more this holiday
- How to respond to bad reviews
- Top tips for a better 2016 IT strategy
- Click-and-collect drives additional in-store sales
- Oxford Dictionaries announces 'word of the year' and it is not a word
- Last-minute shopping on the rise during holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...