News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media presence diminishes consumer trust in retailers
More than half of online shoppers in the UK trust retailers less of they have a presence on a social networking platform, according to startling new research findings from market researchers YouGov SixthSense.
The hype that being on social media does wonders for brand awareness and customer service may not be quite how customers see it. In its new report, 'Ecommerce: Trust in Online Transactions', for which just over 1,000 UK adults aged 16 and over were surveyed, YouGov SixthSense found that 55% trust a retailer less if their store has a presence on social media.
Just 27% said they would trust a retailer more.
Worse still, according to James McCoy, Research Director at YouGov, is that "younger, more social media savvy consumers are the ones who have the greatest objections to using their Facebook and Twitter accounts for shopping". Instead, he added, they prefer to keeping shopping and social separate.
Furthermore, social networking sites featured low in shoppers' online research with just 10% using them as a source of information. Instead, online shoppers were more likely to view reviews on a retailer's website (60%), use shopping comparison sites (48%) or view consumer reviews on third party sites (40%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...