News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media presence diminishes consumer trust in retailers
More than half of online shoppers in the UK trust retailers less of they have a presence on a social networking platform, according to startling new research findings from market researchers YouGov SixthSense.
The hype that being on social media does wonders for brand awareness and customer service may not be quite how customers see it. In its new report, 'Ecommerce: Trust in Online Transactions', for which just over 1,000 UK adults aged 16 and over were surveyed, YouGov SixthSense found that 55% trust a retailer less if their store has a presence on social media.
Just 27% said they would trust a retailer more.
Worse still, according to James McCoy, Research Director at YouGov, is that "younger, more social media savvy consumers are the ones who have the greatest objections to using their Facebook and Twitter accounts for shopping". Instead, he added, they prefer to keeping shopping and social separate.
Furthermore, social networking sites featured low in shoppers' online research with just 10% using them as a source of information. Instead, online shoppers were more likely to view reviews on a retailer's website (60%), use shopping comparison sites (48%) or view consumer reviews on third party sites (40%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
- Expert: How to better leverage content via mobile
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....