News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media presence diminishes consumer trust in retailers
More than half of online shoppers in the UK trust retailers less of they have a presence on a social networking platform, according to startling new research findings from market researchers YouGov SixthSense.
The hype that being on social media does wonders for brand awareness and customer service may not be quite how customers see it. In its new report, 'Ecommerce: Trust in Online Transactions', for which just over 1,000 UK adults aged 16 and over were surveyed, YouGov SixthSense found that 55% trust a retailer less if their store has a presence on social media.
Just 27% said they would trust a retailer more.
Worse still, according to James McCoy, Research Director at YouGov, is that "younger, more social media savvy consumers are the ones who have the greatest objections to using their Facebook and Twitter accounts for shopping". Instead, he added, they prefer to keeping shopping and social separate.
Furthermore, social networking sites featured low in shoppers' online research with just 10% using them as a source of information. Instead, online shoppers were more likely to view reviews on a retailer's website (60%), use shopping comparison sites (48%) or view consumer reviews on third party sites (40%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Study finds more people unwilling to share data
- Study: Internet speeds up globally
- Study IDs how Millennials engage with traditional media
- Report: Half of online buys happen after an hour
- Expert: Why real time isn't fast enough
- What new crowdfunding rules mean for SMBs
- Study IDs how retailers can compete with Amazon
- Expert: How to determine if calls are leads or not
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...