News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Social media presence diminishes consumer trust in retailers
More than half of online shoppers in the UK trust retailers less of they have a presence on a social networking platform, according to startling new research findings from market researchers YouGov SixthSense.
The hype that being on social media does wonders for brand awareness and customer service may not be quite how customers see it. In its new report, 'Ecommerce: Trust in Online Transactions', for which just over 1,000 UK adults aged 16 and over were surveyed, YouGov SixthSense found that 55% trust a retailer less if their store has a presence on social media.
Just 27% said they would trust a retailer more.
Worse still, according to James McCoy, Research Director at YouGov, is that "younger, more social media savvy consumers are the ones who have the greatest objections to using their Facebook and Twitter accounts for shopping". Instead, he added, they prefer to keeping shopping and social separate.
Furthermore, social networking sites featured low in shoppers' online research with just 10% using them as a source of information. Instead, online shoppers were more likely to view reviews on a retailer's website (60%), use shopping comparison sites (48%) or view consumer reviews on third party sites (40%).
Image via Shutterstock
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...