News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SMBs: How to know your business is safe online
While there is no way to ensure a business is 100% protected online, there are steps to take that will improve online security. There are basic protections including anti-malware software, updated operating systems, firewalls, and strong passwords. But, security is also a journey and not a final destination point. How can SMBs know if their business is on the right track?
Kristina: How can SMBs determine if their business is protected or at risk?
William Pelgrin, President & CEO, Center for Internet Security: The volume and complexity of cyber security challenges facing us will continue to increase. Cyber security is all about layers of defense. Ensuring that those layers--such as patch management, access controls and training--are in place will help diminish the risks.
Performing regular scans of systems and webpages will help identify vulnerabilities and weaknesses. Organizations should run automated vulnerability scanning tools against all systems on their networks on a weekly or more frequent basis. Any vulnerability identified should be remediated in a timely manner.
Also, it's important to understand what security controls are in place with any third party providers you have.
Kristina: What advice do you have to help SMBs increase cyber safety preparedness?
William: Designate a principal individual responsible for cyber security and make sure this individual can provide you with answers to these questions:
• How are we protecting our cyber infrastructure and customer data?
• What policies and procedures are in place for physically protecting our equipment from unauthorized access, loss or theft?
• What is our plan for responding to a cyber security incident?
• What cyber security policies are in place? Is staff trained on those policies?
Later this week, CISecurity's top 4 tips to increase online protection.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: What consumers really want from loyalty programs
- Top 4 Tips to Manage Relationship Between Developers, Marketers
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...