News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SMBs: How to know your business is safe online
While there is no way to ensure a business is 100% protected online, there are steps to take that will improve online security. There are basic protections including anti-malware software, updated operating systems, firewalls, and strong passwords. But, security is also a journey and not a final destination point. How can SMBs know if their business is on the right track?
Kristina: How can SMBs determine if their business is protected or at risk?
William Pelgrin, President & CEO, Center for Internet Security: The volume and complexity of cyber security challenges facing us will continue to increase. Cyber security is all about layers of defense. Ensuring that those layers--such as patch management, access controls and training--are in place will help diminish the risks.
Performing regular scans of systems and webpages will help identify vulnerabilities and weaknesses. Organizations should run automated vulnerability scanning tools against all systems on their networks on a weekly or more frequent basis. Any vulnerability identified should be remediated in a timely manner.
Also, it's important to understand what security controls are in place with any third party providers you have.
Kristina: What advice do you have to help SMBs increase cyber safety preparedness?
William: Designate a principal individual responsible for cyber security and make sure this individual can provide you with answers to these questions:
• How are we protecting our cyber infrastructure and customer data?
• What policies and procedures are in place for physically protecting our equipment from unauthorized access, loss or theft?
• What is our plan for responding to a cyber security incident?
• What cyber security policies are in place? Is staff trained on those policies?
Later this week, CISecurity's top 4 tips to increase online protection.
Image via Shutterstock
- Millennials embrace marketing emails via mobile
- Video posts overtake photo posts by brands on Facebook
- Two-thirds of customers feel undervalued by providers
- Reports ID hot trends for Halloween
- Expert: How SMBs can compete with big retail
- Study: 50% prefer local gift cards
- Expert: Why brands must manage channel data
- Top 4 tips for SMBs to implement mobile strategies
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....