News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Showrooming more prevalent among Baby Boomers
Showrooming is an activity that half of smartphone owners now engage in. But it's not the younger generation taking the lead, according to new research conducted in the UK by retail technology firm Omnico Group.
Today's younger generations may be the ones constantly glued to their mobile phone screens, but they aren't the ones driving the new in-store behavior of showrooming.
Instead, checking out prices on a mobile device while in-store is an activity that is carried out by more Baby Boomers than Millennnials. Omnico's survey of more than 2000 adults in the UK found that just 37% of those aged between 18 and 24 admit to showrooming compared to 50% of those between the ages of 55 and 59.
"Some people may be surprised to see Generation Y - the smartphone generation - as less savvy than their parents and grandparents when it comes to shopping for offers whilst on the go," says Steve Thomas CTO of Omnico Group.
Instead of being driven by showrooming, younger generations are being motivated by mobile loyalty schemes. This, says Thomas, gives brands a "golden opportunity" to engage via "intuitive mobile apps and offers" to drive brand loyalty and develop brand ambassadors.
Image via Shutterstock
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...