News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Showrooming more prevalent among Baby Boomers
Showrooming is an activity that half of smartphone owners now engage in. But it's not the younger generation taking the lead, according to new research conducted in the UK by retail technology firm Omnico Group.
Today's younger generations may be the ones constantly glued to their mobile phone screens, but they aren't the ones driving the new in-store behavior of showrooming.
Instead, checking out prices on a mobile device while in-store is an activity that is carried out by more Baby Boomers than Millennnials. Omnico's survey of more than 2000 adults in the UK found that just 37% of those aged between 18 and 24 admit to showrooming compared to 50% of those between the ages of 55 and 59.
"Some people may be surprised to see Generation Y - the smartphone generation - as less savvy than their parents and grandparents when it comes to shopping for offers whilst on the go," says Steve Thomas CTO of Omnico Group.
Instead of being driven by showrooming, younger generations are being motivated by mobile loyalty schemes. This, says Thomas, gives brands a "golden opportunity" to engage via "intuitive mobile apps and offers" to drive brand loyalty and develop brand ambassadors.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Customers are mobile, retailers are not
- Forecasts: Programmatic, Native on the up
- Top 4 tips to a strong subscription strategy
- Amazon develops game-changing grocery store
- Mobile ecoupons to drive significant rise in redemption rates
- Report: Biggest engagement not happening Black Friday/Cyber Monday
- Expert: How to determine what goes in a subscription box
- Expert IDs how retailers can make more this holiday
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...