News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Showrooming more prevalent among Baby Boomers
Showrooming is an activity that half of smartphone owners now engage in. But it's not the younger generation taking the lead, according to new research conducted in the UK by retail technology firm Omnico Group.
Today's younger generations may be the ones constantly glued to their mobile phone screens, but they aren't the ones driving the new in-store behavior of showrooming.
Instead, checking out prices on a mobile device while in-store is an activity that is carried out by more Baby Boomers than Millennnials. Omnico's survey of more than 2000 adults in the UK found that just 37% of those aged between 18 and 24 admit to showrooming compared to 50% of those between the ages of 55 and 59.
"Some people may be surprised to see Generation Y - the smartphone generation - as less savvy than their parents and grandparents when it comes to shopping for offers whilst on the go," says Steve Thomas CTO of Omnico Group.
Instead of being driven by showrooming, younger generations are being motivated by mobile loyalty schemes. This, says Thomas, gives brands a "golden opportunity" to engage via "intuitive mobile apps and offers" to drive brand loyalty and develop brand ambassadors.
Image via Shutterstock
- Snapchat beats Facebook for daily video views
- Global study reveals 'authenticity deficit' among brands
- Report: Video is video regardless of screen
- Study: US mobile app experience low
- Top 4 tips to succeed at Mother's Day email
- Ad Roundup: New solutions for personalization, collaboration
- How brands can better manage social
- How data impacts marketing automation
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...