News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Showrooming more prevalent among Baby Boomers
Showrooming is an activity that half of smartphone owners now engage in. But it's not the younger generation taking the lead, according to new research conducted in the UK by retail technology firm Omnico Group.
Today's younger generations may be the ones constantly glued to their mobile phone screens, but they aren't the ones driving the new in-store behavior of showrooming.
Instead, checking out prices on a mobile device while in-store is an activity that is carried out by more Baby Boomers than Millennnials. Omnico's survey of more than 2000 adults in the UK found that just 37% of those aged between 18 and 24 admit to showrooming compared to 50% of those between the ages of 55 and 59.
"Some people may be surprised to see Generation Y - the smartphone generation - as less savvy than their parents and grandparents when it comes to shopping for offers whilst on the go," says Steve Thomas CTO of Omnico Group.
Instead of being driven by showrooming, younger generations are being motivated by mobile loyalty schemes. This, says Thomas, gives brands a "golden opportunity" to engage via "intuitive mobile apps and offers" to drive brand loyalty and develop brand ambassadors.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: More formats, reporting available to brands
- What drives reward program spending
- Forecast: Local media to slide mobile
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...