News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Showrooming more prevalent among Baby Boomers
Showrooming is an activity that half of smartphone owners now engage in. But it's not the younger generation taking the lead, according to new research conducted in the UK by retail technology firm Omnico Group.
Today's younger generations may be the ones constantly glued to their mobile phone screens, but they aren't the ones driving the new in-store behavior of showrooming.
Instead, checking out prices on a mobile device while in-store is an activity that is carried out by more Baby Boomers than Millennnials. Omnico's survey of more than 2000 adults in the UK found that just 37% of those aged between 18 and 24 admit to showrooming compared to 50% of those between the ages of 55 and 59.
"Some people may be surprised to see Generation Y - the smartphone generation - as less savvy than their parents and grandparents when it comes to shopping for offers whilst on the go," says Steve Thomas CTO of Omnico Group.
Instead of being driven by showrooming, younger generations are being motivated by mobile loyalty schemes. This, says Thomas, gives brands a "golden opportunity" to engage via "intuitive mobile apps and offers" to drive brand loyalty and develop brand ambassadors.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...