News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
The more devices a person owns, the more they are likely to juggle between them throughout the course of a day, according to new research commissioned by Facebook and conducted by market research firm GfK.
Almost two-thirds (63%) of people use two or more devices in the course of a day while 21% use three or more, found the study of 2,018 adults.
In fact, the more devices a person owns, the more they juggle them to complete various tasks, often switching between devices mid-activity. This behavior is now becoming commonplace, according to Facebook. Overall, 40% of people switch devices part-way through a task.
Over half (54%) of those who own two devices switch midway between tasks, perhaps beginning to read an article on their smartphone but moving to read it on a tablet.
Switching is even more common among those with three or more devices - rising to 73%.
"Most often, people start on a smartphone, then move to the bigger screen for reasons including the ease of typing on a larger device. Comfort and convenience are the main reasons people switch devices mid-activity, but the urgency of the task, the length of time involved, security and privacy concerns, and the level of detail required are other important considerations," says Facebook in a blog post. "And while switching devices can happen at work, in cafes and everywhere in between, it occurs most often at home in front of the TV, when all devices are within easy reach."
The Facebook/GfK research findings also echoed those of a Salesforce ExactTarget Marketing Cloud survey that found that consumers equate "mobile" with a smartphone or cellphone rather than a tablet or e-reader. Of those surveyed by Facebook/GfK, 77% said it was the device they use while "out and about".
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...