News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
The more devices a person owns, the more they are likely to juggle between them throughout the course of a day, according to new research commissioned by Facebook and conducted by market research firm GfK.
Almost two-thirds (63%) of people use two or more devices in the course of a day while 21% use three or more, found the study of 2,018 adults.
In fact, the more devices a person owns, the more they juggle them to complete various tasks, often switching between devices mid-activity. This behavior is now becoming commonplace, according to Facebook. Overall, 40% of people switch devices part-way through a task.
Over half (54%) of those who own two devices switch midway between tasks, perhaps beginning to read an article on their smartphone but moving to read it on a tablet.
Switching is even more common among those with three or more devices - rising to 73%.
"Most often, people start on a smartphone, then move to the bigger screen for reasons including the ease of typing on a larger device. Comfort and convenience are the main reasons people switch devices mid-activity, but the urgency of the task, the length of time involved, security and privacy concerns, and the level of detail required are other important considerations," says Facebook in a blog post. "And while switching devices can happen at work, in cafes and everywhere in between, it occurs most often at home in front of the TV, when all devices are within easy reach."
The Facebook/GfK research findings also echoed those of a Salesforce ExactTarget Marketing Cloud survey that found that consumers equate "mobile" with a smartphone or cellphone rather than a tablet or e-reader. Of those surveyed by Facebook/GfK, 77% said it was the device they use while "out and about".
Image via Shutterstock
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
- Reports: Mobile data traffic, video trending high
- Survey finds increased interest in online car buying
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...