News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
The more devices a person owns, the more they are likely to juggle between them throughout the course of a day, according to new research commissioned by Facebook and conducted by market research firm GfK.
Almost two-thirds (63%) of people use two or more devices in the course of a day while 21% use three or more, found the study of 2,018 adults.
In fact, the more devices a person owns, the more they juggle them to complete various tasks, often switching between devices mid-activity. This behavior is now becoming commonplace, according to Facebook. Overall, 40% of people switch devices part-way through a task.
Over half (54%) of those who own two devices switch midway between tasks, perhaps beginning to read an article on their smartphone but moving to read it on a tablet.
Switching is even more common among those with three or more devices - rising to 73%.
"Most often, people start on a smartphone, then move to the bigger screen for reasons including the ease of typing on a larger device. Comfort and convenience are the main reasons people switch devices mid-activity, but the urgency of the task, the length of time involved, security and privacy concerns, and the level of detail required are other important considerations," says Facebook in a blog post. "And while switching devices can happen at work, in cafes and everywhere in between, it occurs most often at home in front of the TV, when all devices are within easy reach."
The Facebook/GfK research findings also echoed those of a Salesforce ExactTarget Marketing Cloud survey that found that consumers equate "mobile" with a smartphone or cellphone rather than a tablet or e-reader. Of those surveyed by Facebook/GfK, 77% said it was the device they use while "out and about".
Image via Shutterstock
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
- Study: SMB's pushing the social media spend
- Report: BOPIS hot for the holidays
- Apps are asking users for too much personal data and providing too little privacy information
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...