News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
The more devices a person owns, the more they are likely to juggle between them throughout the course of a day, according to new research commissioned by Facebook and conducted by market research firm GfK.
Almost two-thirds (63%) of people use two or more devices in the course of a day while 21% use three or more, found the study of 2,018 adults.
In fact, the more devices a person owns, the more they juggle them to complete various tasks, often switching between devices mid-activity. This behavior is now becoming commonplace, according to Facebook. Overall, 40% of people switch devices part-way through a task.
Over half (54%) of those who own two devices switch midway between tasks, perhaps beginning to read an article on their smartphone but moving to read it on a tablet.
Switching is even more common among those with three or more devices - rising to 73%.
"Most often, people start on a smartphone, then move to the bigger screen for reasons including the ease of typing on a larger device. Comfort and convenience are the main reasons people switch devices mid-activity, but the urgency of the task, the length of time involved, security and privacy concerns, and the level of detail required are other important considerations," says Facebook in a blog post. "And while switching devices can happen at work, in cafes and everywhere in between, it occurs most often at home in front of the TV, when all devices are within easy reach."
The Facebook/GfK research findings also echoed those of a Salesforce ExactTarget Marketing Cloud survey that found that consumers equate "mobile" with a smartphone or cellphone rather than a tablet or e-reader. Of those surveyed by Facebook/GfK, 77% said it was the device they use while "out and about".
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...