News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
More men are to be found in the aisles of supermarkets, according to new research from Defy Media, as they increasingly take charge of the household shopping with little guidance from their spouses.
Defy Media's 2nd Annual Acumen Report "Brand New Man", reveals that 65% of men now have primary responsibility for a multitude of household products.
"Men have earned their place as decision makers in the household. In this year's report, we uncovered the process that men embark on to discover, connect with, and purchase new brands and products," said Andy Tu, executive vice president of marketing for Defy Media.
Not only that, in many cases it's the men making brand decisions with 53% saying their spouse does not tell them which brands to buy. Almost half of men (47%) purchase a brand based on personal recommendation, found the study, while 40% become aware of a new brand via advertising, 24% from YouTube videos and 28% from social media.
Furthermore, two-thirds (67%) say they actually enjoy doing the household shop and 54% do it more than their spouse.
"The idea that men are mindless, robotic, or powerless in their decisions about shopping and brand decisions is antiquated," said Tu. "The road ahead for marketers to embrace and engage this new era of masculinity proves to be challenging, but those that build a relationship will ultimately reap the benefit."
Image via Shutterstock
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...