News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
More men are to be found in the aisles of supermarkets, according to new research from Defy Media, as they increasingly take charge of the household shopping with little guidance from their spouses.
Defy Media's 2nd Annual Acumen Report "Brand New Man", reveals that 65% of men now have primary responsibility for a multitude of household products.
"Men have earned their place as decision makers in the household. In this year's report, we uncovered the process that men embark on to discover, connect with, and purchase new brands and products," said Andy Tu, executive vice president of marketing for Defy Media.
Not only that, in many cases it's the men making brand decisions with 53% saying their spouse does not tell them which brands to buy. Almost half of men (47%) purchase a brand based on personal recommendation, found the study, while 40% become aware of a new brand via advertising, 24% from YouTube videos and 28% from social media.
Furthermore, two-thirds (67%) say they actually enjoy doing the household shop and 54% do it more than their spouse.
"The idea that men are mindless, robotic, or powerless in their decisions about shopping and brand decisions is antiquated," said Tu. "The road ahead for marketers to embrace and engage this new era of masculinity proves to be challenging, but those that build a relationship will ultimately reap the benefit."
Image via Shutterstock
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
Featured White Papers
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...