News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report reveals men's emerging role in household supermarket shopping chore
More men are to be found in the aisles of supermarkets, according to new research from Defy Media, as they increasingly take charge of the household shopping with little guidance from their spouses.
Defy Media's 2nd Annual Acumen Report "Brand New Man", reveals that 65% of men now have primary responsibility for a multitude of household products.
"Men have earned their place as decision makers in the household. In this year's report, we uncovered the process that men embark on to discover, connect with, and purchase new brands and products," said Andy Tu, executive vice president of marketing for Defy Media.
Not only that, in many cases it's the men making brand decisions with 53% saying their spouse does not tell them which brands to buy. Almost half of men (47%) purchase a brand based on personal recommendation, found the study, while 40% become aware of a new brand via advertising, 24% from YouTube videos and 28% from social media.
Furthermore, two-thirds (67%) say they actually enjoy doing the household shop and 54% do it more than their spouse.
"The idea that men are mindless, robotic, or powerless in their decisions about shopping and brand decisions is antiquated," said Tu. "The road ahead for marketers to embrace and engage this new era of masculinity proves to be challenging, but those that build a relationship will ultimately reap the benefit."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...