News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report exposes riskiest apps to companies and individuals
Analysis of thousands of mobile apps for Android has revealed those that are the riskiest to use with communication, social media and news categories at the top of the table.
The benefits of mobile apps are many, but so are the risks of using them. New findings from this month's Marble Security Labs' Mobile App Threat Report show that some of the most-used mobile app categories are also the riskiest.
It's not all about malware, says David Jevans, Marble Security founder and CTO.
"Even seemingly innocent apps can pose data leak risks as they feed information to advertising engines or hackers' servers, comb through contacts or emails, or exchange documents," Jevans warns. "Mobile security is a new and rapidly evolving field, and these findings help identify the categories that deserve the most scrutiny."
The lowest risk category was games, followed by app widgets and wallpapers. But here are the categories carrying the most risk:
News and magazines
Media and video
Travel and local
Music and audio
The study findings should be of particular interest to companies employing BYOD policies as some apps may be able to access sensitive corporate data.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: New tools to track, serve ads
- How to maximize your content marketing strategy
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
Featured White Papers
- Use Social Data To Improve Your Social Marketing Maturity
We all have social data - and lots of it. But are you using it effectively? A brand's social data...