News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report exposes riskiest apps to companies and individuals
Analysis of thousands of mobile apps for Android has revealed those that are the riskiest to use with communication, social media and news categories at the top of the table.
The benefits of mobile apps are many, but so are the risks of using them. New findings from this month's Marble Security Labs' Mobile App Threat Report show that some of the most-used mobile app categories are also the riskiest.
It's not all about malware, says David Jevans, Marble Security founder and CTO.
"Even seemingly innocent apps can pose data leak risks as they feed information to advertising engines or hackers' servers, comb through contacts or emails, or exchange documents," Jevans warns. "Mobile security is a new and rapidly evolving field, and these findings help identify the categories that deserve the most scrutiny."
The lowest risk category was games, followed by app widgets and wallpapers. But here are the categories carrying the most risk:
News and magazines
Media and video
Travel and local
Music and audio
The study findings should be of particular interest to companies employing BYOD policies as some apps may be able to access sensitive corporate data.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
- Study: Visuals important in reviews
- Consumers increasingly comfortable with mHealth options
- Study: Personalization important for rewards
- Retailers: How to use out-of-store events to engage
- Why do online shoppers switch devices between research and purchase?
- Video ad budgets increasingly diversifying beyond pre-roll
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...