News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report exposes riskiest apps to companies and individuals
Analysis of thousands of mobile apps for Android has revealed those that are the riskiest to use with communication, social media and news categories at the top of the table.
The benefits of mobile apps are many, but so are the risks of using them. New findings from this month's Marble Security Labs' Mobile App Threat Report show that some of the most-used mobile app categories are also the riskiest.
It's not all about malware, says David Jevans, Marble Security founder and CTO.
"Even seemingly innocent apps can pose data leak risks as they feed information to advertising engines or hackers' servers, comb through contacts or emails, or exchange documents," Jevans warns. "Mobile security is a new and rapidly evolving field, and these findings help identify the categories that deserve the most scrutiny."
The lowest risk category was games, followed by app widgets and wallpapers. But here are the categories carrying the most risk:
News and magazines
Media and video
Travel and local
Music and audio
The study findings should be of particular interest to companies employing BYOD policies as some apps may be able to access sensitive corporate data.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forecast: More to invest in multi-screen ads
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
- Top 3 tips for SMBs using webinars
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
Featured White Papers
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...