News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report exposes riskiest apps to companies and individuals
Analysis of thousands of mobile apps for Android has revealed those that are the riskiest to use with communication, social media and news categories at the top of the table.
The benefits of mobile apps are many, but so are the risks of using them. New findings from this month's Marble Security Labs' Mobile App Threat Report show that some of the most-used mobile app categories are also the riskiest.
It's not all about malware, says David Jevans, Marble Security founder and CTO.
"Even seemingly innocent apps can pose data leak risks as they feed information to advertising engines or hackers' servers, comb through contacts or emails, or exchange documents," Jevans warns. "Mobile security is a new and rapidly evolving field, and these findings help identify the categories that deserve the most scrutiny."
The lowest risk category was games, followed by app widgets and wallpapers. But here are the categories carrying the most risk:
News and magazines
Media and video
Travel and local
Music and audio
The study findings should be of particular interest to companies employing BYOD policies as some apps may be able to access sensitive corporate data.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: Where retailers should focus this holiday season
- Top 3 tips to create stronger video content
- Forecast: Holidays could be a boon to retailers
- 'Password fatigue' drives social login use
- Millennial-led SMBs defining new world order for marketing
- Online payment fraud costing U.S. merchants billions
- Online ad viewability in UK remains below 50%
- Mobile banking logins outpacing desktop
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....