News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Americans won't give up Internet, would give up TV
Twenty-five years after the Internet was a nice-to-have 'distraction' for most people, it's seen as 'indispensable' for many - to the point that they'd rather give up television than Internet access. That according to a new study out from Pew Research which finds three-quarters of American would find it quite hard not to be able to go online as they please.
What is perhaps most interesting about the Pew Research report is the change from TV being seen as indispensable less than seven years ago. In 2007 researchers found nearly half of US adults said TV would be nearly as hard to give up as Internet access and in 2006 44% of adults said that television was 'more essential' to their life than the Internet.
"87% of American adults now use the Internet, with near-saturation usage among those living n households earning $75,000 or more (99%), young adults (18-29, 97%) and those with college degrees (97%)," is written in the report. "Fully 68% of adults connect to the Internet with mobile devices like smartphones or tablet computers."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• About 33% say social media is important but only 11% say it would be 'very hard' to give up social media
• 61% say connectivity is important for their jobs
• 30% say they wouldn't have to give it up because it's fun
• 67% say the Internet has improved/strengthened their family/friend connections
Overall most surveyed believe the Internet is a good thing (76%) and that it is a positive force (90%) for individuals.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...