News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Americans won't give up Internet, would give up TV
Twenty-five years after the Internet was a nice-to-have 'distraction' for most people, it's seen as 'indispensable' for many - to the point that they'd rather give up television than Internet access. That according to a new study out from Pew Research which finds three-quarters of American would find it quite hard not to be able to go online as they please.
What is perhaps most interesting about the Pew Research report is the change from TV being seen as indispensable less than seven years ago. In 2007 researchers found nearly half of US adults said TV would be nearly as hard to give up as Internet access and in 2006 44% of adults said that television was 'more essential' to their life than the Internet.
"87% of American adults now use the Internet, with near-saturation usage among those living n households earning $75,000 or more (99%), young adults (18-29, 97%) and those with college degrees (97%)," is written in the report. "Fully 68% of adults connect to the Internet with mobile devices like smartphones or tablet computers."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• About 33% say social media is important but only 11% say it would be 'very hard' to give up social media
• 61% say connectivity is important for their jobs
• 30% say they wouldn't have to give it up because it's fun
• 67% say the Internet has improved/strengthened their family/friend connections
Overall most surveyed believe the Internet is a good thing (76%) and that it is a positive force (90%) for individuals.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Sales, marketing disconnect resulting in bad customer experience
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
- How to tell if interactions are successful or not
- Report: In case of emergency, try cell
- Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
- Home pages of retail websites failing to load fast enough
- U.K. ecommerce websites improve delivery options to tap overseas customers
- Forecast: More to invest in multi-screen ads
Featured White Papers
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...