News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Americans won't give up Internet, would give up TV
Twenty-five years after the Internet was a nice-to-have 'distraction' for most people, it's seen as 'indispensable' for many - to the point that they'd rather give up television than Internet access. That according to a new study out from Pew Research which finds three-quarters of American would find it quite hard not to be able to go online as they please.
What is perhaps most interesting about the Pew Research report is the change from TV being seen as indispensable less than seven years ago. In 2007 researchers found nearly half of US adults said TV would be nearly as hard to give up as Internet access and in 2006 44% of adults said that television was 'more essential' to their life than the Internet.
"87% of American adults now use the Internet, with near-saturation usage among those living n households earning $75,000 or more (99%), young adults (18-29, 97%) and those with college degrees (97%)," is written in the report. "Fully 68% of adults connect to the Internet with mobile devices like smartphones or tablet computers."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• About 33% say social media is important but only 11% say it would be 'very hard' to give up social media
• 61% say connectivity is important for their jobs
• 30% say they wouldn't have to give it up because it's fun
• 67% say the Internet has improved/strengthened their family/friend connections
Overall most surveyed believe the Internet is a good thing (76%) and that it is a positive force (90%) for individuals.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: How to reconnect customers
- Fiksu launches mobile audience platform
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for mobile, online reach
- Imbalanced approach to social means consumers left waiting for response
- Reports show upswing for connected TV, downswing for pay
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- How technology can improve the classroom
- Campaign launched to increase awareness of role of ads in funding free online editorial
Featured White Papers
- B2B Marketing Automation Platforms 2015: A Marketer's Guide
This report was prepared by conducting in-depth interviews with leading vendors and industry experts....
- Why Marketing Should Be Personal
Read our report, Why Marketing Should be Personal, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to learn why 700 marketers ranked personalization...
- Digital Trends 2015
Download the 2015 Digital Trends report, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to see the trends and tools you need to...