News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Americans won't give up Internet, would give up TV
Twenty-five years after the Internet was a nice-to-have 'distraction' for most people, it's seen as 'indispensable' for many - to the point that they'd rather give up television than Internet access. That according to a new study out from Pew Research which finds three-quarters of American would find it quite hard not to be able to go online as they please.
What is perhaps most interesting about the Pew Research report is the change from TV being seen as indispensable less than seven years ago. In 2007 researchers found nearly half of US adults said TV would be nearly as hard to give up as Internet access and in 2006 44% of adults said that television was 'more essential' to their life than the Internet.
"87% of American adults now use the Internet, with near-saturation usage among those living n households earning $75,000 or more (99%), young adults (18-29, 97%) and those with college degrees (97%)," is written in the report. "Fully 68% of adults connect to the Internet with mobile devices like smartphones or tablet computers."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• About 33% say social media is important but only 11% say it would be 'very hard' to give up social media
• 61% say connectivity is important for their jobs
• 30% say they wouldn't have to give it up because it's fun
• 67% say the Internet has improved/strengthened their family/friend connections
Overall most surveyed believe the Internet is a good thing (76%) and that it is a positive force (90%) for individuals.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...