News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Americans won't give up Internet, would give up TV
Twenty-five years after the Internet was a nice-to-have 'distraction' for most people, it's seen as 'indispensable' for many - to the point that they'd rather give up television than Internet access. That according to a new study out from Pew Research which finds three-quarters of American would find it quite hard not to be able to go online as they please.
What is perhaps most interesting about the Pew Research report is the change from TV being seen as indispensable less than seven years ago. In 2007 researchers found nearly half of US adults said TV would be nearly as hard to give up as Internet access and in 2006 44% of adults said that television was 'more essential' to their life than the Internet.
"87% of American adults now use the Internet, with near-saturation usage among those living n households earning $75,000 or more (99%), young adults (18-29, 97%) and those with college degrees (97%)," is written in the report. "Fully 68% of adults connect to the Internet with mobile devices like smartphones or tablet computers."
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• About 33% say social media is important but only 11% say it would be 'very hard' to give up social media
• 61% say connectivity is important for their jobs
• 30% say they wouldn't have to give it up because it's fun
• 67% say the Internet has improved/strengthened their family/friend connections
Overall most surveyed believe the Internet is a good thing (76%) and that it is a positive force (90%) for individuals.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....