News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Photos, video enhance Twitter engagement
It has been revealed that 140 words alone are not enough on Twitter. In order to boost engagement you need to add in a little more like a photo, a hashtag or a quote.
When a Twitter data scientist, Douglas Mason, analyzed millions of Tweets sent by verified users in the U.S. from accounts connected with government, music, news, sports and television, he found there was a way to increase engagement and encourage Retweets.
By adding photos, a hashtag, video or a quote, the chances of a Tweet being Retweeted rose significantly. Tweets with a photo attached averaged 35% more Retweets than those without, found Mason, and those with video were boosted by 28%. These two additions were the most effective.
Adding in quotes to the mix boosted Retweets by 19% while hashtags helped encourage Retweets by 16%.
"The fact is, people don't engage equally with every Tweet," says Twitter's data editor Simon Rogers. "But now we can confirm that adding video, links and photos all result in an impressive boost in the number of Retweets."
Of course, engagement on Twitter isn't all about content. After all, it's a social network on which conversations take place. Recent research from SocialBro found that businesses on Twitter need to make sure they engage with new Followers early on in the relationship. Their data shows that businesses on Twitter will lose 15% of new Followers within three weeks if they don't make the effort.
Image via Shutterstock
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...