News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Photos, video enhance Twitter engagement
It has been revealed that 140 words alone are not enough on Twitter. In order to boost engagement you need to add in a little more like a photo, a hashtag or a quote.
When a Twitter data scientist, Douglas Mason, analyzed millions of Tweets sent by verified users in the U.S. from accounts connected with government, music, news, sports and television, he found there was a way to increase engagement and encourage Retweets.
By adding photos, a hashtag, video or a quote, the chances of a Tweet being Retweeted rose significantly. Tweets with a photo attached averaged 35% more Retweets than those without, found Mason, and those with video were boosted by 28%. These two additions were the most effective.
Adding in quotes to the mix boosted Retweets by 19% while hashtags helped encourage Retweets by 16%.
"The fact is, people don't engage equally with every Tweet," says Twitter's data editor Simon Rogers. "But now we can confirm that adding video, links and photos all result in an impressive boost in the number of Retweets."
Of course, engagement on Twitter isn't all about content. After all, it's a social network on which conversations take place. Recent research from SocialBro found that businesses on Twitter need to make sure they engage with new Followers early on in the relationship. Their data shows that businesses on Twitter will lose 15% of new Followers within three weeks if they don't make the effort.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecommerce Roundup: As digital increases, so does fraud
- Survey: Health Lifestyle grabs consumer interest
- Alibaba forms alliance with big brands to fight counterfeiting
- Expert: What marketers need to know about RegTech
- Mobile 'click injection' fraud forecast to become prevalent in 2017
- Less than half of consumers satisfied with retail app experience
- Study: Order struggles a problem for B2B
- Ad Roundup: Solution expansions, investments
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...