News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Photos, video enhance Twitter engagement
It has been revealed that 140 words alone are not enough on Twitter. In order to boost engagement you need to add in a little more like a photo, a hashtag or a quote.
When a Twitter data scientist, Douglas Mason, analyzed millions of Tweets sent by verified users in the U.S. from accounts connected with government, music, news, sports and television, he found there was a way to increase engagement and encourage Retweets.
By adding photos, a hashtag, video or a quote, the chances of a Tweet being Retweeted rose significantly. Tweets with a photo attached averaged 35% more Retweets than those without, found Mason, and those with video were boosted by 28%. These two additions were the most effective.
Adding in quotes to the mix boosted Retweets by 19% while hashtags helped encourage Retweets by 16%.
"The fact is, people don't engage equally with every Tweet," says Twitter's data editor Simon Rogers. "But now we can confirm that adding video, links and photos all result in an impressive boost in the number of Retweets."
Of course, engagement on Twitter isn't all about content. After all, it's a social network on which conversations take place. Recent research from SocialBro found that businesses on Twitter need to make sure they engage with new Followers early on in the relationship. Their data shows that businesses on Twitter will lose 15% of new Followers within three weeks if they don't make the effort.
Image via Shutterstock
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...