News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Photos, video enhance Twitter engagement
It has been revealed that 140 words alone are not enough on Twitter. In order to boost engagement you need to add in a little more like a photo, a hashtag or a quote.
When a Twitter data scientist, Douglas Mason, analyzed millions of Tweets sent by verified users in the U.S. from accounts connected with government, music, news, sports and television, he found there was a way to increase engagement and encourage Retweets.
By adding photos, a hashtag, video or a quote, the chances of a Tweet being Retweeted rose significantly. Tweets with a photo attached averaged 35% more Retweets than those without, found Mason, and those with video were boosted by 28%. These two additions were the most effective.
Adding in quotes to the mix boosted Retweets by 19% while hashtags helped encourage Retweets by 16%.
"The fact is, people don't engage equally with every Tweet," says Twitter's data editor Simon Rogers. "But now we can confirm that adding video, links and photos all result in an impressive boost in the number of Retweets."
Of course, engagement on Twitter isn't all about content. After all, it's a social network on which conversations take place. Recent research from SocialBro found that businesses on Twitter need to make sure they engage with new Followers early on in the relationship. Their data shows that businesses on Twitter will lose 15% of new Followers within three weeks if they don't make the effort.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...