News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
One-click process would encourage consumers to use mobile payments
The key to driving adoption of mobile payments is to make the process as quick and as simple as possible, confirms a study by mobile solutions firm Oxygen8.
Use of mobile payments in the UK is currently a long way off mainstream. A third of adults in Oxygen8's study (age 18-44) said they had never used their mobile device to make a payment, despite having the ability to do so.
The findings reflect those of research by Bain & Co which found that, while awareness of mobile payment options among consumers is rising (70% of Europeans), only 25% overall said they would be willing to use their device in-store to pay for items.
What's putting many of them off, according to Oxygen8's findings, is the multi-step process of making a mobile payment. More than half (55%) said they would be more likely to make a mobile payment if it was a simpler process while slightly more (56%) said multiple steps to complete a mobile purchase was off-putting and a single-click method would encourage them to use their device more often.
Maria Grant, Head of Product Development at Oxygen8 Group said the expectation for "simplicity" comes during a one-click age where "secure hassle free payments... are a given".
"These findings show that consumers expect similar simplicity when it comes to mobile payments," said Grant. "Businesses, like ours, are able to provide this to merchants. But it's clear that the industry needs to work to create more awareness with consumers that simple, secure and swift smartphone payment options already exist."
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...