News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen: Most feel brands 'don't meet needs' of aging
Brands: if you want to make an impact with consumers don't forget older shoppers. That is the takeaway from a new report out from Nielsen which indicates consumers now don't believe most brands are taking the needs and wants of older citizens into account - despite their enhanced buying power.
About one-third of the global population (2 billion people) will be aged 60 or older by 2050 according to the World Health Organization, and a new report out from Nielsen indicates that at least half of people believe the needs of older consumers aren't met by global companies.
This despite the fact that Boomers and, as they age, Gen Xers will have more buying power than their younger counterparts. Some interesting findings from the Nielsen report include:
• 38% of Americans say they 'don't see' ads reflecting older consumers
• 50% of global consumers say product labels are hard to read
• 43% of global consumers say easy-open packaging is hard to find
• 34% of global consumers say it's hard to find products for older consumers in-store
"While an online survey methodology allows for tremendous scale and global reach, it provides a perspective only on the habits of existing Internet users, not total populations. In developing markets where online penetration has not reached majority potential, audiences may be younger and more affluent than the general population of that country," writes Nielsen.
The top concerns of the aging include losing their self-reliance (58%), physical agility (57%) or mental agility (51%). Nearly half say they are worried about becoming a burden on their family, having enough money to be comfortable or just cover medical costs.
Image via Shutterstock
- Six ways to increase the performance of your Pinterest Pins
- Personalization key to becoming a 'Best Friend Brand'
- Young mobile users annoyed by ads in apps
- Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
- Report: M:Commerce share up one-third
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
Featured White Papers
- How to Create a Mobile Device Storefront
It is estimated that 55% of Americans regularly shop online at an average of 15.6 online purchases per year. However,...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Here's why the savvy ones in the business are outsourcing their content right now (and why you should be, too)....