News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen: Most feel brands 'don't meet needs' of aging
Brands: if you want to make an impact with consumers don't forget older shoppers. That is the takeaway from a new report out from Nielsen which indicates consumers now don't believe most brands are taking the needs and wants of older citizens into account - despite their enhanced buying power.
About one-third of the global population (2 billion people) will be aged 60 or older by 2050 according to the World Health Organization, and a new report out from Nielsen indicates that at least half of people believe the needs of older consumers aren't met by global companies.
This despite the fact that Boomers and, as they age, Gen Xers will have more buying power than their younger counterparts. Some interesting findings from the Nielsen report include:
• 38% of Americans say they 'don't see' ads reflecting older consumers
• 50% of global consumers say product labels are hard to read
• 43% of global consumers say easy-open packaging is hard to find
• 34% of global consumers say it's hard to find products for older consumers in-store
"While an online survey methodology allows for tremendous scale and global reach, it provides a perspective only on the habits of existing Internet users, not total populations. In developing markets where online penetration has not reached majority potential, audiences may be younger and more affluent than the general population of that country," writes Nielsen.
The top concerns of the aging include losing their self-reliance (58%), physical agility (57%) or mental agility (51%). Nearly half say they are worried about becoming a burden on their family, having enough money to be comfortable or just cover medical costs.
Image via Shutterstock
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
- Trends to watch for video in 2017
- 78% of over-55s uncomfortable with concept of stores run by robots
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...