News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen: Most feel brands 'don't meet needs' of aging
Brands: if you want to make an impact with consumers don't forget older shoppers. That is the takeaway from a new report out from Nielsen which indicates consumers now don't believe most brands are taking the needs and wants of older citizens into account - despite their enhanced buying power.
About one-third of the global population (2 billion people) will be aged 60 or older by 2050 according to the World Health Organization, and a new report out from Nielsen indicates that at least half of people believe the needs of older consumers aren't met by global companies.
This despite the fact that Boomers and, as they age, Gen Xers will have more buying power than their younger counterparts. Some interesting findings from the Nielsen report include:
• 38% of Americans say they 'don't see' ads reflecting older consumers
• 50% of global consumers say product labels are hard to read
• 43% of global consumers say easy-open packaging is hard to find
• 34% of global consumers say it's hard to find products for older consumers in-store
"While an online survey methodology allows for tremendous scale and global reach, it provides a perspective only on the habits of existing Internet users, not total populations. In developing markets where online penetration has not reached majority potential, audiences may be younger and more affluent than the general population of that country," writes Nielsen.
The top concerns of the aging include losing their self-reliance (58%), physical agility (57%) or mental agility (51%). Nearly half say they are worried about becoming a burden on their family, having enough money to be comfortable or just cover medical costs.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: What consumers really want from loyalty programs
- Top 4 Tips to Manage Relationship Between Developers, Marketers
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...