News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Newsbrands and Twitter are stronger together
Six out of 10 Twitter users Follow a newspaper or respected journalist on the microblogging platform, even Following publications they wouldn't normally read in print, according to a new study from Newsworks.
The marketing body for Britain's national newspaper industry, Newsworks, joined with Twitter and YouGov to survey the news-Following behavior of Twitter users.
It found that 59% of Twitter users Follow a newsbrand and 49% Follow at least one journalist. A third (35%) Follow main newsbrand accounts while 17% Follow sub-brands.
Furthermore, it was found that those who Follow newsbrands were more active Twitter users and were 60% more likely to check out the platform daily and twice as likely to Tweet daily than those who did not Follow a newsbrand.
"We are immersed in news. We want to be the first to know and also to be guided by expert insight and interpretation," commented Rufus Olins, chief executive, Newsworks. "The combination of newsbrands and Twitter helps keep us informed and opinionated. The insights from this study show that Twitter and newsbrands are most definitely stronger together."
Twitter also enables people to broaden the titles they engage with. More than three-quarters (78%) said they Follow a newsbrand other than their preferred title and 60% said the platform gives them an opportunity to engage with a newsbrand they would not necessarily read in print format.
However, while Twitter users keep up-to-date with the news, many (62%) believe that news content should be verified by traditional media organizations. This is an important consideration considering the speed at which information, even incorrect information, travels.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...