News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Newsbrands and Twitter are stronger together
Six out of 10 Twitter users Follow a newspaper or respected journalist on the microblogging platform, even Following publications they wouldn't normally read in print, according to a new study from Newsworks.
The marketing body for Britain's national newspaper industry, Newsworks, joined with Twitter and YouGov to survey the news-Following behavior of Twitter users.
It found that 59% of Twitter users Follow a newsbrand and 49% Follow at least one journalist. A third (35%) Follow main newsbrand accounts while 17% Follow sub-brands.
Furthermore, it was found that those who Follow newsbrands were more active Twitter users and were 60% more likely to check out the platform daily and twice as likely to Tweet daily than those who did not Follow a newsbrand.
"We are immersed in news. We want to be the first to know and also to be guided by expert insight and interpretation," commented Rufus Olins, chief executive, Newsworks. "The combination of newsbrands and Twitter helps keep us informed and opinionated. The insights from this study show that Twitter and newsbrands are most definitely stronger together."
Twitter also enables people to broaden the titles they engage with. More than three-quarters (78%) said they Follow a newsbrand other than their preferred title and 60% said the platform gives them an opportunity to engage with a newsbrand they would not necessarily read in print format.
However, while Twitter users keep up-to-date with the news, many (62%) believe that news content should be verified by traditional media organizations. This is an important consideration considering the speed at which information, even incorrect information, travels.
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...