News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Newsbrands and Twitter are stronger together
Six out of 10 Twitter users Follow a newspaper or respected journalist on the microblogging platform, even Following publications they wouldn't normally read in print, according to a new study from Newsworks.
The marketing body for Britain's national newspaper industry, Newsworks, joined with Twitter and YouGov to survey the news-Following behavior of Twitter users.
It found that 59% of Twitter users Follow a newsbrand and 49% Follow at least one journalist. A third (35%) Follow main newsbrand accounts while 17% Follow sub-brands.
Furthermore, it was found that those who Follow newsbrands were more active Twitter users and were 60% more likely to check out the platform daily and twice as likely to Tweet daily than those who did not Follow a newsbrand.
"We are immersed in news. We want to be the first to know and also to be guided by expert insight and interpretation," commented Rufus Olins, chief executive, Newsworks. "The combination of newsbrands and Twitter helps keep us informed and opinionated. The insights from this study show that Twitter and newsbrands are most definitely stronger together."
Twitter also enables people to broaden the titles they engage with. More than three-quarters (78%) said they Follow a newsbrand other than their preferred title and 60% said the platform gives them an opportunity to engage with a newsbrand they would not necessarily read in print format.
However, while Twitter users keep up-to-date with the news, many (62%) believe that news content should be verified by traditional media organizations. This is an important consideration considering the speed at which information, even incorrect information, travels.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...