News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Newsbrands and Twitter are stronger together
Six out of 10 Twitter users Follow a newspaper or respected journalist on the microblogging platform, even Following publications they wouldn't normally read in print, according to a new study from Newsworks.
The marketing body for Britain's national newspaper industry, Newsworks, joined with Twitter and YouGov to survey the news-Following behavior of Twitter users.
It found that 59% of Twitter users Follow a newsbrand and 49% Follow at least one journalist. A third (35%) Follow main newsbrand accounts while 17% Follow sub-brands.
Furthermore, it was found that those who Follow newsbrands were more active Twitter users and were 60% more likely to check out the platform daily and twice as likely to Tweet daily than those who did not Follow a newsbrand.
"We are immersed in news. We want to be the first to know and also to be guided by expert insight and interpretation," commented Rufus Olins, chief executive, Newsworks. "The combination of newsbrands and Twitter helps keep us informed and opinionated. The insights from this study show that Twitter and newsbrands are most definitely stronger together."
Twitter also enables people to broaden the titles they engage with. More than three-quarters (78%) said they Follow a newsbrand other than their preferred title and 60% said the platform gives them an opportunity to engage with a newsbrand they would not necessarily read in print format.
However, while Twitter users keep up-to-date with the news, many (62%) believe that news content should be verified by traditional media organizations. This is an important consideration considering the speed at which information, even incorrect information, travels.
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...