News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Newsbrands and Twitter are stronger together
Six out of 10 Twitter users Follow a newspaper or respected journalist on the microblogging platform, even Following publications they wouldn't normally read in print, according to a new study from Newsworks.
The marketing body for Britain's national newspaper industry, Newsworks, joined with Twitter and YouGov to survey the news-Following behavior of Twitter users.
It found that 59% of Twitter users Follow a newsbrand and 49% Follow at least one journalist. A third (35%) Follow main newsbrand accounts while 17% Follow sub-brands.
Furthermore, it was found that those who Follow newsbrands were more active Twitter users and were 60% more likely to check out the platform daily and twice as likely to Tweet daily than those who did not Follow a newsbrand.
"We are immersed in news. We want to be the first to know and also to be guided by expert insight and interpretation," commented Rufus Olins, chief executive, Newsworks. "The combination of newsbrands and Twitter helps keep us informed and opinionated. The insights from this study show that Twitter and newsbrands are most definitely stronger together."
Twitter also enables people to broaden the titles they engage with. More than three-quarters (78%) said they Follow a newsbrand other than their preferred title and 60% said the platform gives them an opportunity to engage with a newsbrand they would not necessarily read in print format.
However, while Twitter users keep up-to-date with the news, many (62%) believe that news content should be verified by traditional media organizations. This is an important consideration considering the speed at which information, even incorrect information, travels.
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...