News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile users loyal to OS rather than handset brand
Mobile users are more likely to stay loyal to a mobile operating system than the brand of handset, according to a new report by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.
Brands like Samsung have long realized that consumers are fickle when it comes to the brand of mobile handset they buy. Other manufacturers are set to follow as the key to sales rests on building brand relationships rather than just products.
The Kantar report found that just 41% of mobile users stay loyal to a specific brand of mobile device when the time comes for an upgrade. Meanwhile, more than two-thirds (68%) continue to use the same operating system.
"Apple is, of course, unaffected by this - iOS is Apple, Apple is iOS," says Kantar. "If consumers want to jump ship to Android or Windows they must re-buy apps, copy across previous content and learn a new OS. These barriers, combined with a compelling product, mean few Apple users are ready to leave the brand."
According to Dominic Sunebo, global insights director at Kantar Worldpanel, manufacturers of mobile devices carrying Android must not only consider user experience throughout ownership of the product, but also make emotional connections (as opposed to rational) and maintain longer term relationships to prevent the migration to another - read iOS - brand.
Image via Shutterstock
- Marketers urged to lower ad viewability expectations
- 50% of consumers who want marketing comms prefer them via email
- AdRoll: Study finds retargeting focus for most brands
- Study: Power of Hispanic shoppers growing
- Report: News, media sites opening slow in mobile
- Marin: Brands looking to integrate marketing efforts
- Nielsen sheds light on the Millennial male
- Ad RoundUp: Analysis key to releases
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...