News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile users loyal to OS rather than handset brand
Mobile users are more likely to stay loyal to a mobile operating system than the brand of handset, according to a new report by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.
Brands like Samsung have long realized that consumers are fickle when it comes to the brand of mobile handset they buy. Other manufacturers are set to follow as the key to sales rests on building brand relationships rather than just products.
The Kantar report found that just 41% of mobile users stay loyal to a specific brand of mobile device when the time comes for an upgrade. Meanwhile, more than two-thirds (68%) continue to use the same operating system.
"Apple is, of course, unaffected by this - iOS is Apple, Apple is iOS," says Kantar. "If consumers want to jump ship to Android or Windows they must re-buy apps, copy across previous content and learn a new OS. These barriers, combined with a compelling product, mean few Apple users are ready to leave the brand."
According to Dominic Sunebo, global insights director at Kantar Worldpanel, manufacturers of mobile devices carrying Android must not only consider user experience throughout ownership of the product, but also make emotional connections (as opposed to rational) and maintain longer term relationships to prevent the migration to another - read iOS - brand.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....