News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile users loyal to OS rather than handset brand
Mobile users are more likely to stay loyal to a mobile operating system than the brand of handset, according to a new report by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.
Brands like Samsung have long realized that consumers are fickle when it comes to the brand of mobile handset they buy. Other manufacturers are set to follow as the key to sales rests on building brand relationships rather than just products.
The Kantar report found that just 41% of mobile users stay loyal to a specific brand of mobile device when the time comes for an upgrade. Meanwhile, more than two-thirds (68%) continue to use the same operating system.
"Apple is, of course, unaffected by this - iOS is Apple, Apple is iOS," says Kantar. "If consumers want to jump ship to Android or Windows they must re-buy apps, copy across previous content and learn a new OS. These barriers, combined with a compelling product, mean few Apple users are ready to leave the brand."
According to Dominic Sunebo, global insights director at Kantar Worldpanel, manufacturers of mobile devices carrying Android must not only consider user experience throughout ownership of the product, but also make emotional connections (as opposed to rational) and maintain longer term relationships to prevent the migration to another - read iOS - brand.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...