News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile users loyal to OS rather than handset brand
Mobile users are more likely to stay loyal to a mobile operating system than the brand of handset, according to a new report by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.
Brands like Samsung have long realized that consumers are fickle when it comes to the brand of mobile handset they buy. Other manufacturers are set to follow as the key to sales rests on building brand relationships rather than just products.
The Kantar report found that just 41% of mobile users stay loyal to a specific brand of mobile device when the time comes for an upgrade. Meanwhile, more than two-thirds (68%) continue to use the same operating system.
"Apple is, of course, unaffected by this - iOS is Apple, Apple is iOS," says Kantar. "If consumers want to jump ship to Android or Windows they must re-buy apps, copy across previous content and learn a new OS. These barriers, combined with a compelling product, mean few Apple users are ready to leave the brand."
According to Dominic Sunebo, global insights director at Kantar Worldpanel, manufacturers of mobile devices carrying Android must not only consider user experience throughout ownership of the product, but also make emotional connections (as opposed to rational) and maintain longer term relationships to prevent the migration to another - read iOS - brand.
Image via Shutterstock
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
- Reports: Mobile economy flourishing
- Top 3 trends to push marketers ahead in 2015
- Consumers want marketing email based on previous purchases
- Kenshoo highlights rise in Facebook ad spend
- Study: Americans don't understand their health plan
Featured White Papers
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...
- Twitter for Business: Everything You Need to Know
Using Twitter requires a lot more effort than just sharing a link and throwing in a hashtag or two....