News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile users loyal to OS rather than handset brand
Mobile users are more likely to stay loyal to a mobile operating system than the brand of handset, according to a new report by Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.
Brands like Samsung have long realized that consumers are fickle when it comes to the brand of mobile handset they buy. Other manufacturers are set to follow as the key to sales rests on building brand relationships rather than just products.
The Kantar report found that just 41% of mobile users stay loyal to a specific brand of mobile device when the time comes for an upgrade. Meanwhile, more than two-thirds (68%) continue to use the same operating system.
"Apple is, of course, unaffected by this - iOS is Apple, Apple is iOS," says Kantar. "If consumers want to jump ship to Android or Windows they must re-buy apps, copy across previous content and learn a new OS. These barriers, combined with a compelling product, mean few Apple users are ready to leave the brand."
According to Dominic Sunebo, global insights director at Kantar Worldpanel, manufacturers of mobile devices carrying Android must not only consider user experience throughout ownership of the product, but also make emotional connections (as opposed to rational) and maintain longer term relationships to prevent the migration to another - read iOS - brand.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...