News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile: Retail apps encourage in-store shoppers
Retailers that provide a mobile app are more likely to attract in-store shoppers, according to new research released by app research and strategy organization Apigee Institute.
The research, conducted in the U.S., found that two thirds (66%) of consumers are more likely to shop in a brick-and-mortar store that has a "useful" mobile app. Among 'power users' - that 25% of consumers who use apps more frequently - the figure rises to 84%.
"The rise of mobile isn't just changing e-commerce. Our research finds that customers not only want brick-and-mortar retailers to deliver key services via apps, they expect them to," said Bryan Kirschner, director of the Apigee Institute.
What do consumers define as "useful"? For more than 50% of respondents the most critical feature in a retail app is an easy to use interface and features that allow them to find a store. This was followed by customer service access and the option of being able to purchase items through the application.
According to the Apigee Institute's report, "The Mobile Mandate for Retail - Three Criteria for Making the Most of Mobile Apps in Retail", "More than 8 in 10 (81%) smartphone owners say their phone or tablet has changed the way they shop, with 15% describing their experience as completely changed. Taking into account expectations for the future, nearly all (90%) expect mobile to change their shopping behavior by 2015".
Image via Shutterstock
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
- Reports: Mobile economy flourishing
- Top 3 trends to push marketers ahead in 2015
- Consumers want marketing email based on previous purchases
- Kenshoo highlights rise in Facebook ad spend
- Study: Americans don't understand their health plan
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...