News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millennials more likely than other adults to share personal information
If brands give something of value in return, Millennials are quite happy to share personal information, according to new research by Mintel.
Businesses that want to get personal information from Millennials - such as their mobile number or a link in to their social media profiles - should offer something in return, says Mintel.
The research found that while consumers do have concerns in light of recent NSA activity and data breaches such as that experienced by Target, 60% of Millennials would be willing to provide personal information and preferences to marketers, although 30% would want an incentive to do so, such as a gift card or money off.
This generation is far less sceptical and more comfortable with sharing this type of information than their elders, having grown up in the Information Age. However, while they are happy to share information such as email address, preferences and habits they are more protective of their mobile phone number and social media profile and incentives may be needed to prompt them to offer up this valuable data.
Mintel found that Millennials were much more prone to oversharing than older generations, such as Baby Boomers, who are far more protective of their personal information.
"Millennials are predisposed to share their personal habits and contact information with marketers, but they do so only when the perceived benefits outweigh the risks," says Fiona O'Donnell, Mintel senior lifestyles and leisure analyst. "Given that their generation accounts for nearly a quarter of the population, the implications for businesses are tremendous, because as Millennials go, so goes the US economy."
Image via Shutterstock
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...