News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Is your scalability strategy right?
For every business there is a scalability strategy that works. The problem is that many businesses are using more generic strategies that don't necessarily fit their objective.
"As an example, one retailer may need to plan for growth throughout the year, while another retailer may only be concerned with managing holiday peak orders for the busiest couple of weeks prior to Christmas. Retailers must keep their goals in mind and manage the investment that's required to scale their specific type of growth," said Maria Haggerty, CEO, DOTcom Distribution.
One thing to keep in mind - the season, says Haggerty. She suggests that some may see a spike in orders as on-going growth when it should be attributed to a particular season. Fulfillment forecasting is a good place to begin, because many retailers are setting up for failure by planning to fulfill 100 orders per day when they actually handle up to 1,000. This causes a shortage in products and can lead to customer dissatisfaction because orders go unfulfilled or take a long time to arrive.
"The key to scaling business is to have near-accurate forecasting. I say near because there is no "crystal ball" for retailers - they can only get as close to forecasting inventory as their analytics allow, which can actually be very close. To accurately forecast, retailers and their fulfillment providers need to look at how many orders they receive in a day, a week or a month, how many units they're receiving per order and when goods will start arriving at the warehouse," said Haggerty.
More from Maria and Dotcom Distribution later this week, including how better scalability leads to better customer service.
Image via Shutterstock
- Experiences - not amenities - create most social media chatter about hotels
- Younger consumers will share personal data in exchange for more accurate search results
- Forecast: App store spend to increase 33%
- Report shows Southwest winning digital airline wars
- Expert: Why unsubscribes aren't necessarily bad
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...