News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How using the wrong scale causes customer dissatisfaction
Customer satisfaction is a growing concern for many retailers in the online space. While online and mobile shops are helping many bring in more revenue dollars, incorrect scalability practices are also harming some retailers.
What is the easiest way to improve customer satisfaction? Provide quality merchandise at a low cost and ship quickly. The problem? For many retailers, improperly scaling their business and forecasting how much product they will need.
"It is important to take into account any promotions [retailers are] planning to offer and how that will impact demand. Based on that information, they can plan for growth and scalability, including determining equipment needs, machine automation and the technical and systemic support," said Maria Haggerty, CEO, Dotcom Distribution.
Especially for young retailers, it's easy to underestimate the investments needed to be made in advance to scale business. The key to maintaining a great relationship with your customers is the ability to maintain service levels when the growth in demand hits. If you are in a reactive mode, playing catch up and providing slower service, your reputation can suffer very quickly - particularly if your customers are highly engaged in social media.
"It is critical to anticipate and to maintain "excess" capacity so you are ready BEFORE the increased demand occurs. This means looking at warehouse space, packing stations and equipment to process more orders. When a spike in demand occurs, that extra space or equipment is a much more worthy investment. In many cases, a major benefit of outsourcing fulfillment to a third-party logistics provider (3PL) is that the company generally already has the infrastructure in place to handle that growth," said Haggerty.
Image via Shutterstock
- 170% rise in ad requests containing location data
- Brexit, Trump leave marketers skittish about targeting
- Email analysis reveals extent of email attacks on businesses
- Report IDs the next big tech products
- Brands: How to prep for the subscription economy
- Expert: What Buffett's Walmart sale means
- Reports: Mobile data traffic, video trending high
- Survey finds increased interest in online car buying
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...