News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How using the wrong scale causes customer dissatisfaction
Customer satisfaction is a growing concern for many retailers in the online space. While online and mobile shops are helping many bring in more revenue dollars, incorrect scalability practices are also harming some retailers.
What is the easiest way to improve customer satisfaction? Provide quality merchandise at a low cost and ship quickly. The problem? For many retailers, improperly scaling their business and forecasting how much product they will need.
"It is important to take into account any promotions [retailers are] planning to offer and how that will impact demand. Based on that information, they can plan for growth and scalability, including determining equipment needs, machine automation and the technical and systemic support," said Maria Haggerty, CEO, Dotcom Distribution.
Especially for young retailers, it's easy to underestimate the investments needed to be made in advance to scale business. The key to maintaining a great relationship with your customers is the ability to maintain service levels when the growth in demand hits. If you are in a reactive mode, playing catch up and providing slower service, your reputation can suffer very quickly - particularly if your customers are highly engaged in social media.
"It is critical to anticipate and to maintain "excess" capacity so you are ready BEFORE the increased demand occurs. This means looking at warehouse space, packing stations and equipment to process more orders. When a spike in demand occurs, that extra space or equipment is a much more worthy investment. In many cases, a major benefit of outsourcing fulfillment to a third-party logistics provider (3PL) is that the company generally already has the infrastructure in place to handle that growth," said Haggerty.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...