News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How data will impact businesses in 2014
Data collection and analysis has matured over the past two years. Businesses are now using data to enhance not only traditional ad spending but native and programmatic spending as well. Even more, brands are using cloud-based data collection and analysis tools, giving them more control over what is collected and how that data is used. How will data impact 2014?
"[One] profoundly important trend can be found at the intersection of cloud services and big data tools and techniques. This trend is making analytics far more powerful, accessible, and affordable. Another key trend is the growing awareness for the importance of data governance (especially data quality). Without a strategic and sustained focus on data governance, big data collection can become a very risky and expensive endeavor," said Peter O'Kelly, Chief Data Officer, Shop Advisor.
Looking at 2014, O'Kelly believes more businesses will integrate the Chief Data Officer (CDO) role so that they can improve the collection and performance of their data across traditional and online ad spaces.
"I expect brands will use data to help drive customer affinity - an idea that goes beyond customer loyalty. If brands can use data to create unique, personal, and valuable shopping experiences, they will be able to develop and nurture long-term relationships that are rarely broken. Think Apple, or even Starbucks: higher prices and even occasional service disruptions aren't enough to stop customers from coming back. Consumers still value the brand's products and the experiences they reap when engaging across each of the brand's channels, because they enjoy more personalized and productive shopping experiences," said O'Kelly.
Customer affinity insights and related predictive analytics, says O'Kelly, have transformational impact potential, and I believe proper use and analysis of data are the only ways brands will be able to achieve the affinity-based insights and analytics, moving forward.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...