News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Getting news on Facebook is an incidental experience
Recent research from Pew highlights the role of social media in consumers' news discovery and reveals how Facebook has become an accidental source of the news for many.
Social media has increasingly played a major role in consumers' news consumption behavior with many turning to social media sites to get the latest.
New research from Pew found that 30% of adults in the U.S. who use Facebook do so to get that latest news. However, just 22% of those believe that the social network is a useful resource for news. Yet, because more adults in the U.S. use Facebook than any other social media it is the leading platform on which news is consumed.
However, Pew's data reveals that Facebook users aren't logging on to the network to get their news fix - 78% said they mostly see the news when visiting the social network for other reasons.
Furthermore, the news they are seeing in their Newsfeeds is likely to be as a result of a friend sharing as just 34% of Facebook news consumers had 'Liked' a news organization or journalist.
Meanwhile, on Twitter, just 8% of Twitter users log on to the microblogging platform to keep up to date with the news. In fact, the study found that YouTube was a channel whose userbase was more likely to use it to keep up to date with the news (10%).
Pew's findings and charts can be viewed online here.
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...