News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Getting news on Facebook is an incidental experience
Recent research from Pew highlights the role of social media in consumers' news discovery and reveals how Facebook has become an accidental source of the news for many.
Social media has increasingly played a major role in consumers' news consumption behavior with many turning to social media sites to get the latest.
New research from Pew found that 30% of adults in the U.S. who use Facebook do so to get that latest news. However, just 22% of those believe that the social network is a useful resource for news. Yet, because more adults in the U.S. use Facebook than any other social media it is the leading platform on which news is consumed.
However, Pew's data reveals that Facebook users aren't logging on to the network to get their news fix - 78% said they mostly see the news when visiting the social network for other reasons.
Furthermore, the news they are seeing in their Newsfeeds is likely to be as a result of a friend sharing as just 34% of Facebook news consumers had 'Liked' a news organization or journalist.
Meanwhile, on Twitter, just 8% of Twitter users log on to the microblogging platform to keep up to date with the news. In fact, the study found that YouTube was a channel whose userbase was more likely to use it to keep up to date with the news (10%).
Pew's findings and charts can be viewed online here.
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...