News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Getting news on Facebook is an incidental experience
Recent research from Pew highlights the role of social media in consumers' news discovery and reveals how Facebook has become an accidental source of the news for many.
Social media has increasingly played a major role in consumers' news consumption behavior with many turning to social media sites to get the latest.
New research from Pew found that 30% of adults in the U.S. who use Facebook do so to get that latest news. However, just 22% of those believe that the social network is a useful resource for news. Yet, because more adults in the U.S. use Facebook than any other social media it is the leading platform on which news is consumed.
However, Pew's data reveals that Facebook users aren't logging on to the network to get their news fix - 78% said they mostly see the news when visiting the social network for other reasons.
Furthermore, the news they are seeing in their Newsfeeds is likely to be as a result of a friend sharing as just 34% of Facebook news consumers had 'Liked' a news organization or journalist.
Meanwhile, on Twitter, just 8% of Twitter users log on to the microblogging platform to keep up to date with the news. In fact, the study found that YouTube was a channel whose userbase was more likely to use it to keep up to date with the news (10%).
Pew's findings and charts can be viewed online here.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...