News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Expert warns bitcoin has drawbacks for SMBs
There have been many headlines about bitcoin millionaires and bitcoin-based businesses over the past year. For every positive headline there have been almost as many negative headlines about bitcoin. Our expert weighs in on how bitcoin may help - or hinder - small businesses.
"Small businesses have low and/or tight margins and are more risk--and complexity--averse. The money they pay in credit card fees makes a big impact on their bottom lines," said Charise Flynn, Chief Operating Officer, Dwolla. "The value of so-called "Bitcoin buzz" is that it's helped to expose the underlying issues of our current financial system, which is that the currency itself isn't the problem, it's the way we move that currency that is."
The buzz aroun Bitcoin has been built off the low or no-fee services. Many small businesses operate on a shoestring so services offering new payment options for seemingly cheap pricing will catch a lot of attention. offers low or no fees and it's really trendy--all of which are attractive to small businesses.
"Bitcoin is helping open up the minds of small business owners to alternative payment methods and expose the cracks in our aging financial infrastructure as I mentioned previously," said Flynn. "But small business owners should build their businesses on what's relevant to their wider audiences and prioritize their resources. If they don't have a complex problem to solve, or demand, or are concerned with exchange rates, there is little reason for them to invest time and risk into something that will not add value to their business, and is inherently unstable."
More from Charise and Dwolla later this week including how SMBs can control swipe and other retailer fees in a safe manner.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...