News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Expert warns bitcoin has drawbacks for SMBs
There have been many headlines about bitcoin millionaires and bitcoin-based businesses over the past year. For every positive headline there have been almost as many negative headlines about bitcoin. Our expert weighs in on how bitcoin may help - or hinder - small businesses.
"Small businesses have low and/or tight margins and are more risk--and complexity--averse. The money they pay in credit card fees makes a big impact on their bottom lines," said Charise Flynn, Chief Operating Officer, Dwolla. "The value of so-called "Bitcoin buzz" is that it's helped to expose the underlying issues of our current financial system, which is that the currency itself isn't the problem, it's the way we move that currency that is."
The buzz aroun Bitcoin has been built off the low or no-fee services. Many small businesses operate on a shoestring so services offering new payment options for seemingly cheap pricing will catch a lot of attention. offers low or no fees and it's really trendy--all of which are attractive to small businesses.
"Bitcoin is helping open up the minds of small business owners to alternative payment methods and expose the cracks in our aging financial infrastructure as I mentioned previously," said Flynn. "But small business owners should build their businesses on what's relevant to their wider audiences and prioritize their resources. If they don't have a complex problem to solve, or demand, or are concerned with exchange rates, there is little reason for them to invest time and risk into something that will not add value to their business, and is inherently unstable."
More from Charise and Dwolla later this week including how SMBs can control swipe and other retailer fees in a safe manner.
Image via Shutterstock
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
- Online shoppers overwhelmed by choice
- Smartwatches: time for a new ad format
- Translation challenges stymying online communication
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...