News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Do you know your MP3 from your R2-D2? 23% of Americans don't
A new survey by Vouchercloud reveals that many Americans are not yet up to speed on terminology associated with technology, with some worrying, and funny, results.
The survey of nearly 2,400 adults in the U.S. found that common terminology for technology goes way over the head of many. Terms such as USB, HTML and even MP3 were woefully misunderstood.
Take the 11% who thought 'HTML' was a sexually transmitted disease, or the more significant percentage who believed a 'gigabyte' was a creepy crawly from South America.
For 12%, 'USB' is "an acronym for a country in Europe" (the United States of Belgium?), and 23% thought that MP3 was the name of a robot in Star Wars.
More than three-quarters (77%) could not identify what 'SEO' stands for, forgivable perhaps for those outside of tech-land, and for 42% 'motherboard' was the deck of a cruise ship.
But 'Blu-ray' being identified as a marine animal and 'software' as comfortable clothing is verging on the ridiculous, albeit funny.
"Technology is a huge interest for our user base, and month after month we see thousands of people visiting our site to look for coupons and deals to use when purchasing their favorite tech products," a spokeswoman from Voucherclode told The LA Times. "It seems that quite a few of us need to brush up on our tech definitions."
There was no age data to compare responses against. I suspect if I asked my grandmother, or even my mother, to correctly define these terms I'd get some equally confused responses.
Image via Shutterstock
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...