News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Do you know your MP3 from your R2-D2? 23% of Americans don't
A new survey by Vouchercloud reveals that many Americans are not yet up to speed on terminology associated with technology, with some worrying, and funny, results.
The survey of nearly 2,400 adults in the U.S. found that common terminology for technology goes way over the head of many. Terms such as USB, HTML and even MP3 were woefully misunderstood.
Take the 11% who thought 'HTML' was a sexually transmitted disease, or the more significant percentage who believed a 'gigabyte' was a creepy crawly from South America.
For 12%, 'USB' is "an acronym for a country in Europe" (the United States of Belgium?), and 23% thought that MP3 was the name of a robot in Star Wars.
More than three-quarters (77%) could not identify what 'SEO' stands for, forgivable perhaps for those outside of tech-land, and for 42% 'motherboard' was the deck of a cruise ship.
But 'Blu-ray' being identified as a marine animal and 'software' as comfortable clothing is verging on the ridiculous, albeit funny.
"Technology is a huge interest for our user base, and month after month we see thousands of people visiting our site to look for coupons and deals to use when purchasing their favorite tech products," a spokeswoman from Voucherclode told The LA Times. "It seems that quite a few of us need to brush up on our tech definitions."
There was no age data to compare responses against. I suspect if I asked my grandmother, or even my mother, to correctly define these terms I'd get some equally confused responses.
Image via Shutterstock
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
- Trends to watch for video in 2017
- 78% of over-55s uncomfortable with concept of stores run by robots
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...