News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Do you know your MP3 from your R2-D2? 23% of Americans don't
A new survey by Vouchercloud reveals that many Americans are not yet up to speed on terminology associated with technology, with some worrying, and funny, results.
The survey of nearly 2,400 adults in the U.S. found that common terminology for technology goes way over the head of many. Terms such as USB, HTML and even MP3 were woefully misunderstood.
Take the 11% who thought 'HTML' was a sexually transmitted disease, or the more significant percentage who believed a 'gigabyte' was a creepy crawly from South America.
For 12%, 'USB' is "an acronym for a country in Europe" (the United States of Belgium?), and 23% thought that MP3 was the name of a robot in Star Wars.
More than three-quarters (77%) could not identify what 'SEO' stands for, forgivable perhaps for those outside of tech-land, and for 42% 'motherboard' was the deck of a cruise ship.
But 'Blu-ray' being identified as a marine animal and 'software' as comfortable clothing is verging on the ridiculous, albeit funny.
"Technology is a huge interest for our user base, and month after month we see thousands of people visiting our site to look for coupons and deals to use when purchasing their favorite tech products," a spokeswoman from Voucherclode told The LA Times. "It seems that quite a few of us need to brush up on our tech definitions."
There was no age data to compare responses against. I suspect if I asked my grandmother, or even my mother, to correctly define these terms I'd get some equally confused responses.
Image via Shutterstock
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...