News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Content marketing a growing marketing activity
Just over half of B2B brands and 68% of B2C brands have a content marketing budget in place, finds new research from comms agency Bite, but fewer than a third are able to measure the return on investment.
The study, conducted by Redshift Research for Bite, surveyed 100 marketing decision makers and found that more brands now have a content marketing budget than before. For 40% content marketing is now a priority but for 30% it is not seen as essential to business.
Furthermore, 86% of companies have the necessary content marketing skills already in-house or are planning to acquire them.
The type of content viewed as most effective is social media content, cited by 53%, and is produced by 71% of brands. The second most effective content was said to be white papers produced by 38% of brands, followed by blogs (34%), video content (30%) and infographics (23%).
According to Mike Harvey, head of content at Bite, while content marketing is a powerful way in which to engage customers, it is also "one of the most hyped and misunderstood".
"It's great news that so many brands are dedicating budget to content but unless it is conceived using a deep understanding of its intended audience, based on the brand's DNA and to high editorial standards, the danger is it will just end up as content pollution rather than enriching its recipients' lives," said Harvey.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to increase viewability, deflate fraud
- Expert: The most important social metrics for brands
- Smartphones reach new milestone in U.S.
- 400% rise in alcohol advertising not turning U.S. into country of drunks
- Survey uncovers negative attitudes towards wearable tech
- Survey: A little research goes a long way for salespeople
- Mobile Roundup: Payment options, partnerships announced
- Top 5 tips for overworked SMBs
Featured White Papers