News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
BuzzFeed, BBC most-shared publishers on Facebook and Twitter
BuzzFeed and the BBC were the most-shared English language publishers on Facebook and Twitter during the month of February, according to new data released by social monitoring platform Newswhip.
Using data from their content discovery tool, Spike, Newswhip has released findings showing the publishers that dominated social media during February. By monitoring content that is shared on social media and the conversations around it, BuzzFeed was found to be the most-shared on Facebook and the BBC on Twitter.
BuzzFeed received more than 50 million interactions on Facebook - which includes comments, shares and Likes. This, says Newswhip CEO and founder Paul Quigley, is on account of the popularity of BuzzFeeds' recent quizzes.
"BuzzFeed haven't upped their article count so much but the social numbers on some of those quizzes," said Quigley, "they're like a new form of content. It's almost unfair to stack them up against news content because they're evergreen, they just keep rolling and rolling around the web, living on. They may live on for years, accumulating shares."
Meanwhile, on Twitter, the BBC had the highest number of shares in February totaling just under 25 million compared to second place Mashable with 14.6 million.
"There are different motivations for sharing and different relationships," said Quigley. "Twitter is public, there are professional relationships mixed with personal ones there and those dynamics create a different type of sharing atmosphere and I think without Twitter you'd lose a lot of the fast reaction to news stories."
Image via Shutterstock
- How to be sure SaaS options are right for you
- Intent HQ: Consumers want brands to be honest and transparent about data collection
- Forecast: 250 million smart wearables in use by 2018
- Ad Roundup: Making mobile, social, video simpler
- Report: Retailers' investment in mobile paying off
- Survey: Customer service/support high on brands' focus list
- How indie retailers fit into the online space
- Latest mobile network tests find Vodafone wanting
Featured White Papers
- Three Converged Media Campaigns Worth Emulating
The old adage, "you get what you pay for" may no longer be true when it comes to traditional paid...