News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Bad consumer care puts businesses in the dog house for a year
How long would you hold a grudge against a company from which you'd received bad service or had your trust in them tested? According to new research from customer experience management company Thunderbird for some consumers that disappointment can last a lifetime.
A certain budget airline operating here in New Zealand let me down badly a couple of years ago - and I shall never forgive them nor use their services again. In this somewhat sulky behavior I am not alone.
In a survey of more than 2,000 UK consumers and interviews with senior customer executives from 33 UK businesses, Thunderhead found that a bad experience would put 24% of consumers off a business for a year and 23% would never trust that company again.
The research, reported by The Drum, found that despite increasingly 'real time' engagement with customer service via social media, more than half of respondents (52%) had not seen any improvement in their dealings with businesses over the last three years. Six in ten said that such real-time dealing hadn't seen any improvement over the last few years and 66% felt "business' knowledge of them had also remained the same".
One of the problems highlighted by Thunderhead's report is that of compartmentalized housing of customer data within a business, preventing "a complete view of the customer across their journey" and, therefore, prohibiting the ability to offer customers a personalized and relevant experience. In fact, nearly all respondents to the survey (92%) said that being asked for information multiple times in their dealings with a business made them feel negatively about that business, so much so that 21% would ditch them for a competitor.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...