News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Bad consumer care puts businesses in the dog house for a year
How long would you hold a grudge against a company from which you'd received bad service or had your trust in them tested? According to new research from customer experience management company Thunderbird for some consumers that disappointment can last a lifetime.
A certain budget airline operating here in New Zealand let me down badly a couple of years ago - and I shall never forgive them nor use their services again. In this somewhat sulky behavior I am not alone.
In a survey of more than 2,000 UK consumers and interviews with senior customer executives from 33 UK businesses, Thunderhead found that a bad experience would put 24% of consumers off a business for a year and 23% would never trust that company again.
The research, reported by The Drum, found that despite increasingly 'real time' engagement with customer service via social media, more than half of respondents (52%) had not seen any improvement in their dealings with businesses over the last three years. Six in ten said that such real-time dealing hadn't seen any improvement over the last few years and 66% felt "business' knowledge of them had also remained the same".
One of the problems highlighted by Thunderhead's report is that of compartmentalized housing of customer data within a business, preventing "a complete view of the customer across their journey" and, therefore, prohibiting the ability to offer customers a personalized and relevant experience. In fact, nearly all respondents to the survey (92%) said that being asked for information multiple times in their dealings with a business made them feel negatively about that business, so much so that 21% would ditch them for a competitor.
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumers prefer human touch for insurance buying, claims
- Study: Digital strategy not properly defined
- Expert: User engagement trumps viewability
- Combining contextual marketing and demographics gives 3D-view of consumer
- Research warns marketers to consider social media followers' diverse network
- Ad Roundup: Tools for content, collaboration
- Leisure travel most popular discretionary spending category in UK
- Ad Roundup: Data, ecommerce tools
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...