News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
Forming an orderly queue at the checkout isn't something today's consumers want to do. New research from Omnico Group reveals that eight minutes is as long as Americans will tolerate standing in line, after which they will simply abandon the store. They are, however, slightly more patient than their British counterparts.
Retailers need to do more to keep impatient shoppers from leaving their store, never to return. More than three-quarters (77%) of Americans surveyed by Omnico Group said long queues in-store would make them less likely to return.
After eight minutes, Americans were likely to drop their basket or abandon their trolley and leave the store, found the study.
That's two minutes more patience than the British can muster. Omnico's 2013 study of British behavior, found that the average shopper age between 16 and 24 will wait in line for six minutes before giving up. Among older shoppers, over the age of 55, the time before patience runs out is shorter at five minutes and 46 seconds.
The take-out from the research is that retailers must implement new technology to improve customers' in-store experience. The top three technologies noted are self-checkout, free Wi-Fi and click-and-collect.
"Omni-channel solutions enable brick and mortar retailers to accelerate their growth in challenging conditions and provide new opportunities to win back customers from pure-play online shops," said Bill Henry, Omnico Group's chief executive officer. "Retailers that embrace omni-channel technology and offer seamless customer journeys to the shopper have a very bright future."
Image via Shutterstock
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...