News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
Forming an orderly queue at the checkout isn't something today's consumers want to do. New research from Omnico Group reveals that eight minutes is as long as Americans will tolerate standing in line, after which they will simply abandon the store. They are, however, slightly more patient than their British counterparts.
Retailers need to do more to keep impatient shoppers from leaving their store, never to return. More than three-quarters (77%) of Americans surveyed by Omnico Group said long queues in-store would make them less likely to return.
After eight minutes, Americans were likely to drop their basket or abandon their trolley and leave the store, found the study.
That's two minutes more patience than the British can muster. Omnico's 2013 study of British behavior, found that the average shopper age between 16 and 24 will wait in line for six minutes before giving up. Among older shoppers, over the age of 55, the time before patience runs out is shorter at five minutes and 46 seconds.
The take-out from the research is that retailers must implement new technology to improve customers' in-store experience. The top three technologies noted are self-checkout, free Wi-Fi and click-and-collect.
"Omni-channel solutions enable brick and mortar retailers to accelerate their growth in challenging conditions and provide new opportunities to win back customers from pure-play online shops," said Bill Henry, Omnico Group's chief executive officer. "Retailers that embrace omni-channel technology and offer seamless customer journeys to the shopper have a very bright future."
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Desktops still lead online spending
- Video ad campaigns with subtitles outperform in brand awareness
- Two-thirds of ad execs Google prospective employees
- 61% of brand content on Snapchat is video
- Survey: Trust influences more consumers to share information
- Expert: Travel next up for programmatic direct
- Expert: How to reduce involuntary churn
- New service alerts marketers when competitors air new TV ads
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...