News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
Forming an orderly queue at the checkout isn't something today's consumers want to do. New research from Omnico Group reveals that eight minutes is as long as Americans will tolerate standing in line, after which they will simply abandon the store. They are, however, slightly more patient than their British counterparts.
Retailers need to do more to keep impatient shoppers from leaving their store, never to return. More than three-quarters (77%) of Americans surveyed by Omnico Group said long queues in-store would make them less likely to return.
After eight minutes, Americans were likely to drop their basket or abandon their trolley and leave the store, found the study.
That's two minutes more patience than the British can muster. Omnico's 2013 study of British behavior, found that the average shopper age between 16 and 24 will wait in line for six minutes before giving up. Among older shoppers, over the age of 55, the time before patience runs out is shorter at five minutes and 46 seconds.
The take-out from the research is that retailers must implement new technology to improve customers' in-store experience. The top three technologies noted are self-checkout, free Wi-Fi and click-and-collect.
"Omni-channel solutions enable brick and mortar retailers to accelerate their growth in challenging conditions and provide new opportunities to win back customers from pure-play online shops," said Bill Henry, Omnico Group's chief executive officer. "Retailers that embrace omni-channel technology and offer seamless customer journeys to the shopper have a very bright future."
Image via Shutterstock
- Six ways to increase the performance of your Pinterest Pins
- Personalization key to becoming a 'Best Friend Brand'
- Young mobile users annoyed by ads in apps
- Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
- Report: M:Commerce share up one-third
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...