News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Airlines expect dramatic rise in availability of on-board mobile payments
The next two years will see a significant rise in the number of airlines offering mobile payments on-board according to a new report from airline payment processing provider WorldPay.
In order to align themselves with customer expectations more airlines will begin offering the option of mobile payments to make purchases while on-board, found WorldPay. The airline industry is a key area for mobile as more travelers are equipped with a mobile device.
The report, "Alternative Payment and Distribution Landscape: Airline Distribution Channels", found that 50% of the 68 global carriers surveyed believe mobile payments is a way in which they can keep up with competitors, and 45% believe mobile payments will drive and increase in revenues.
Most (83%) said they believed upgrading and implementation of new payment technology to be a major priority. In the next two years, the number of airlines offering mobile payments on-board will rise from 5% to 36% and 18% plan to accept ewallets.
"The opportunities and benefits of new payment and distribution channels such as mobile are clear, but these bring specific challenges," said Mike Parkinson, vice president of airlines at WorldPay, UK. "Airlines can be notoriously siloed. However for mobile and other new payment technologies to be successful, all departments - finance, operations, loyalty, ecommerce and now new mobile/innovation teams - will be required to align and work closely with a common goal."
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...