News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Airlines expect dramatic rise in availability of on-board mobile payments
The next two years will see a significant rise in the number of airlines offering mobile payments on-board according to a new report from airline payment processing provider WorldPay.
In order to align themselves with customer expectations more airlines will begin offering the option of mobile payments to make purchases while on-board, found WorldPay. The airline industry is a key area for mobile as more travelers are equipped with a mobile device.
The report, "Alternative Payment and Distribution Landscape: Airline Distribution Channels", found that 50% of the 68 global carriers surveyed believe mobile payments is a way in which they can keep up with competitors, and 45% believe mobile payments will drive and increase in revenues.
Most (83%) said they believed upgrading and implementation of new payment technology to be a major priority. In the next two years, the number of airlines offering mobile payments on-board will rise from 5% to 36% and 18% plan to accept ewallets.
"The opportunities and benefits of new payment and distribution channels such as mobile are clear, but these bring specific challenges," said Mike Parkinson, vice president of airlines at WorldPay, UK. "Airlines can be notoriously siloed. However for mobile and other new payment technologies to be successful, all departments - finance, operations, loyalty, ecommerce and now new mobile/innovation teams - will be required to align and work closely with a common goal."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...