News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Airlines expect dramatic rise in availability of on-board mobile payments
The next two years will see a significant rise in the number of airlines offering mobile payments on-board according to a new report from airline payment processing provider WorldPay.
In order to align themselves with customer expectations more airlines will begin offering the option of mobile payments to make purchases while on-board, found WorldPay. The airline industry is a key area for mobile as more travelers are equipped with a mobile device.
The report, "Alternative Payment and Distribution Landscape: Airline Distribution Channels", found that 50% of the 68 global carriers surveyed believe mobile payments is a way in which they can keep up with competitors, and 45% believe mobile payments will drive and increase in revenues.
Most (83%) said they believed upgrading and implementation of new payment technology to be a major priority. In the next two years, the number of airlines offering mobile payments on-board will rise from 5% to 36% and 18% plan to accept ewallets.
"The opportunities and benefits of new payment and distribution channels such as mobile are clear, but these bring specific challenges," said Mike Parkinson, vice president of airlines at WorldPay, UK. "Airlines can be notoriously siloed. However for mobile and other new payment technologies to be successful, all departments - finance, operations, loyalty, ecommerce and now new mobile/innovation teams - will be required to align and work closely with a common goal."
Image via Shutterstock
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...