News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Airlines expect dramatic rise in availability of on-board mobile payments
The next two years will see a significant rise in the number of airlines offering mobile payments on-board according to a new report from airline payment processing provider WorldPay.
In order to align themselves with customer expectations more airlines will begin offering the option of mobile payments to make purchases while on-board, found WorldPay. The airline industry is a key area for mobile as more travelers are equipped with a mobile device.
The report, "Alternative Payment and Distribution Landscape: Airline Distribution Channels", found that 50% of the 68 global carriers surveyed believe mobile payments is a way in which they can keep up with competitors, and 45% believe mobile payments will drive and increase in revenues.
Most (83%) said they believed upgrading and implementation of new payment technology to be a major priority. In the next two years, the number of airlines offering mobile payments on-board will rise from 5% to 36% and 18% plan to accept ewallets.
"The opportunities and benefits of new payment and distribution channels such as mobile are clear, but these bring specific challenges," said Mike Parkinson, vice president of airlines at WorldPay, UK. "Airlines can be notoriously siloed. However for mobile and other new payment technologies to be successful, all departments - finance, operations, loyalty, ecommerce and now new mobile/innovation teams - will be required to align and work closely with a common goal."
Image via Shutterstock
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
- Consumers expect shopping experience to be revolutionized by wearable tech
- Highest online parcel volume recorded in October 2015
- How to convince wary app users to share location data
- How to protect against fake reviews
- 3 IT trends to watch in 2016
- Adobe: $27billion spent so far, 46% mobile traffic
- Nielsen: Generations bucking preconceived notions of behavior
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...