News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Valentine's Day could bring in $37 billion
This Valentine's Day look for more people to say 'I love you' with a gift of some sort. According to new data out from the American Express Spending and Saving Tracker people will spend an average of $213 for the holiday, a slight decrease from 2013 spending; 74% say they'll celebrate Valentine's Day with gifts.
"More Americans are marking the Valentine's Day holiday with something special for their someone special," said David Rabkin, SVP of Consumer Lending Products for American Express. "Valentine's Day is still a major retail driver, and merchants will likely see a boost on spending for romantic items and experiences this year as consumers have more fun with their holiday plans."
Other interesting findings from the American Express report:
• 60% will buy a gift
• 53% will go to dinner
• 32% will prepare a special dinner at home
• 24% will go to the movies
New numbers from Offers.com indicate most people plan to keep spending level over the Valentine's holiday. Their data shows about 60% plan to spend the same in 2014 as they did in 2013; on average consumers spent $130 each in 2013. Men, by the way, usually outspend women by about 2 to 1 - men average $176 on Valentine spending while women average $89 each.
As for the specific gifts - or gift types - most Americans want to receive, new data out from Ebates shows 25% of men want giftcards while 20% want chocolates. Women prefer flowers (41%) to giftcards (37%) or chocolate (34%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
- Kinetic email boosts unique click and click-to-open rates
- Study: GenX, Y most likely to BOPIS
- Experts: Why points aren't enough for loyalty
- How to win the Amazon Buy Box
- Consumers prefer human touch for insurance buying, claims
- Study: Digital strategy not properly defined
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...