News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Valentine's Day could bring in $37 billion
This Valentine's Day look for more people to say 'I love you' with a gift of some sort. According to new data out from the American Express Spending and Saving Tracker people will spend an average of $213 for the holiday, a slight decrease from 2013 spending; 74% say they'll celebrate Valentine's Day with gifts.
"More Americans are marking the Valentine's Day holiday with something special for their someone special," said David Rabkin, SVP of Consumer Lending Products for American Express. "Valentine's Day is still a major retail driver, and merchants will likely see a boost on spending for romantic items and experiences this year as consumers have more fun with their holiday plans."
Other interesting findings from the American Express report:
• 60% will buy a gift
• 53% will go to dinner
• 32% will prepare a special dinner at home
• 24% will go to the movies
New numbers from Offers.com indicate most people plan to keep spending level over the Valentine's holiday. Their data shows about 60% plan to spend the same in 2014 as they did in 2013; on average consumers spent $130 each in 2013. Men, by the way, usually outspend women by about 2 to 1 - men average $176 on Valentine spending while women average $89 each.
As for the specific gifts - or gift types - most Americans want to receive, new data out from Ebates shows 25% of men want giftcards while 20% want chocolates. Women prefer flowers (41%) to giftcards (37%) or chocolate (34%).
Image via Shutterstock
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...