News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Valentine's Day could bring in $37 billion
This Valentine's Day look for more people to say 'I love you' with a gift of some sort. According to new data out from the American Express Spending and Saving Tracker people will spend an average of $213 for the holiday, a slight decrease from 2013 spending; 74% say they'll celebrate Valentine's Day with gifts.
"More Americans are marking the Valentine's Day holiday with something special for their someone special," said David Rabkin, SVP of Consumer Lending Products for American Express. "Valentine's Day is still a major retail driver, and merchants will likely see a boost on spending for romantic items and experiences this year as consumers have more fun with their holiday plans."
Other interesting findings from the American Express report:
• 60% will buy a gift
• 53% will go to dinner
• 32% will prepare a special dinner at home
• 24% will go to the movies
New numbers from Offers.com indicate most people plan to keep spending level over the Valentine's holiday. Their data shows about 60% plan to spend the same in 2014 as they did in 2013; on average consumers spent $130 each in 2013. Men, by the way, usually outspend women by about 2 to 1 - men average $176 on Valentine spending while women average $89 each.
As for the specific gifts - or gift types - most Americans want to receive, new data out from Ebates shows 25% of men want giftcards while 20% want chocolates. Women prefer flowers (41%) to giftcards (37%) or chocolate (34%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Video, content tools launched
- Binge-viewing is booming but it is a lonely activity
- IAB UK: Not all ad blockers want to block all ads
- Top 4 tips to reduce holiday fraud
- Expert: How telecoms can do better at customer service
- Survey: Students, parents say localization key to buying
- Corporate Visions release powers insights-based data
- Neurological study pits digital ads against physical ads
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...