News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
User-submitted images important to travelers researching accommodation, sight-seeing
How many reviews do you read through before committing to a hotel booking or a table at a restaurant? A new survey, conducted by PhoCusWright for TripAdvisor, reveals all.
Sites such as TripAdvisor enable travelers to thoroughly research destinations, accommodation, local attractions and dining experiences. I use TripAdvisor a lot, and spend hours reading through reviews and viewing user images before deciding on where and what to book.
But, on average, how many reviews do people trawl through before feeling confident enough to part with their hard-earned cash? According to the TripAdvisor-commissioned research, when researching a place to say, 80% read at least 6 - 12 reviews before making a decision, with the most-recent reviews of most interest.
When researching where to eat, or local attractions, 20% of travelers read over 11 reviews before making up their mind.
So important are reviews that more than half of travelers researching on TripAdvisor won't book a hotel if it has no reviews. On the other hand, reviews that are extreme - either in their gushing praise or downright disgust - are largely ignored. However, favorable user photographs and TripAdvisor awards are likely to tip the balance in favor of a property, restaurant or local attraction. User photographs are one of the main features I tend to look at, more so than the professional photographs submitted by the business owner, and I'm not alone - 73% of TripAdvisor visitors rely on user-submitted images to make a decision.
"There is no denying that reviews are a powerful and significant part of the travel planning experience," says Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer, TripAdvisor. "The results of this study showcase the vital part reviews play, reinforce the idea that we are becoming more social as travelers and demonstrate the essential nature of reviews to hospitality businesses."
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...