News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
User-submitted images important to travelers researching accommodation, sight-seeing
How many reviews do you read through before committing to a hotel booking or a table at a restaurant? A new survey, conducted by PhoCusWright for TripAdvisor, reveals all.
Sites such as TripAdvisor enable travelers to thoroughly research destinations, accommodation, local attractions and dining experiences. I use TripAdvisor a lot, and spend hours reading through reviews and viewing user images before deciding on where and what to book.
But, on average, how many reviews do people trawl through before feeling confident enough to part with their hard-earned cash? According to the TripAdvisor-commissioned research, when researching a place to say, 80% read at least 6 - 12 reviews before making a decision, with the most-recent reviews of most interest.
When researching where to eat, or local attractions, 20% of travelers read over 11 reviews before making up their mind.
So important are reviews that more than half of travelers researching on TripAdvisor won't book a hotel if it has no reviews. On the other hand, reviews that are extreme - either in their gushing praise or downright disgust - are largely ignored. However, favorable user photographs and TripAdvisor awards are likely to tip the balance in favor of a property, restaurant or local attraction. User photographs are one of the main features I tend to look at, more so than the professional photographs submitted by the business owner, and I'm not alone - 73% of TripAdvisor visitors rely on user-submitted images to make a decision.
"There is no denying that reviews are a powerful and significant part of the travel planning experience," says Barbara Messing, chief marketing officer, TripAdvisor. "The results of this study showcase the vital part reviews play, reinforce the idea that we are becoming more social as travelers and demonstrate the essential nature of reviews to hospitality businesses."
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...