News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Two-thirds of global mobile Internet population use Android
As the mobile world awaits the first Android phone from Nokia, the latest GlobalWebIndex figures show two-thirds of the global mobile Internet population are now using Android, significantly ahead of Apple.
A survey of 170,000 people across 32 markets, representing 89% of the global Internet population, reveals that 65% are now using Android with just 20% using Apple's iOS - a 270% increase in Android use in the last 2 years.
The biggest rises were seen in Asia, particularly in South Korea, China and Malaysia. In the U.S., however, Apple's iOS continues to account for a much higher than average share of the market with 42%, followed by Australia (40%) and Canada (37%).
In terms of handset preferences, Samsung was the most popular with 36% global penetration, followed by Nokia (22%) and iPhone (19%).
Android also boasts the larger market share of tablets - 53% compared to iOS's 40%. Of interest were GlobalWebIndex's stats about tablet sharing. More than half of those surveyed said they shared a tablet with at least one other person. According to Jason Mander, head of trends at GlobalWebIndex, the trend of sharing is common among tablet users but is less common with smarthphones "which are usually considered to be the most 'personal'" of mobile devices.
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
- Top 4 investments to make in 2015
- Researchers use Yelp to predict a restaurant's chances of survival
- Are your employees stifling yawns during status meetings?
- Survey reveals the odd places consumers shop by mobile
- Marketers urged to lower ad viewability expectations
- 50% of consumers who want marketing comms prefer them via email
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...