News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Two-thirds of global mobile Internet population use Android
As the mobile world awaits the first Android phone from Nokia, the latest GlobalWebIndex figures show two-thirds of the global mobile Internet population are now using Android, significantly ahead of Apple.
A survey of 170,000 people across 32 markets, representing 89% of the global Internet population, reveals that 65% are now using Android with just 20% using Apple's iOS - a 270% increase in Android use in the last 2 years.
The biggest rises were seen in Asia, particularly in South Korea, China and Malaysia. In the U.S., however, Apple's iOS continues to account for a much higher than average share of the market with 42%, followed by Australia (40%) and Canada (37%).
In terms of handset preferences, Samsung was the most popular with 36% global penetration, followed by Nokia (22%) and iPhone (19%).
Android also boasts the larger market share of tablets - 53% compared to iOS's 40%. Of interest were GlobalWebIndex's stats about tablet sharing. More than half of those surveyed said they shared a tablet with at least one other person. According to Jason Mander, head of trends at GlobalWebIndex, the trend of sharing is common among tablet users but is less common with smarthphones "which are usually considered to be the most 'personal'" of mobile devices.
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...