News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Two-thirds of global mobile Internet population use Android
As the mobile world awaits the first Android phone from Nokia, the latest GlobalWebIndex figures show two-thirds of the global mobile Internet population are now using Android, significantly ahead of Apple.
A survey of 170,000 people across 32 markets, representing 89% of the global Internet population, reveals that 65% are now using Android with just 20% using Apple's iOS - a 270% increase in Android use in the last 2 years.
The biggest rises were seen in Asia, particularly in South Korea, China and Malaysia. In the U.S., however, Apple's iOS continues to account for a much higher than average share of the market with 42%, followed by Australia (40%) and Canada (37%).
In terms of handset preferences, Samsung was the most popular with 36% global penetration, followed by Nokia (22%) and iPhone (19%).
Android also boasts the larger market share of tablets - 53% compared to iOS's 40%. Of interest were GlobalWebIndex's stats about tablet sharing. More than half of those surveyed said they shared a tablet with at least one other person. According to Jason Mander, head of trends at GlobalWebIndex, the trend of sharing is common among tablet users but is less common with smarthphones "which are usually considered to be the most 'personal'" of mobile devices.
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...