News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Two-thirds of global mobile Internet population use Android
As the mobile world awaits the first Android phone from Nokia, the latest GlobalWebIndex figures show two-thirds of the global mobile Internet population are now using Android, significantly ahead of Apple.
A survey of 170,000 people across 32 markets, representing 89% of the global Internet population, reveals that 65% are now using Android with just 20% using Apple's iOS - a 270% increase in Android use in the last 2 years.
The biggest rises were seen in Asia, particularly in South Korea, China and Malaysia. In the U.S., however, Apple's iOS continues to account for a much higher than average share of the market with 42%, followed by Australia (40%) and Canada (37%).
In terms of handset preferences, Samsung was the most popular with 36% global penetration, followed by Nokia (22%) and iPhone (19%).
Android also boasts the larger market share of tablets - 53% compared to iOS's 40%. Of interest were GlobalWebIndex's stats about tablet sharing. More than half of those surveyed said they shared a tablet with at least one other person. According to Jason Mander, head of trends at GlobalWebIndex, the trend of sharing is common among tablet users but is less common with smarthphones "which are usually considered to be the most 'personal'" of mobile devices.
- Ad viewability levels down across Europe
- Virtual Reality: Seeing, and trying, is believing and buying
- Expert: Retail's trends to watch
- Mobile Roundup: Platforms to simplify work, personal lives
- Report: Fraud attacks up 80%
- Marketers value startups for their passion, drive, and technological prowess
- How mobile is changing retail
- ECommerce Roundup: Platforms to simplify shopper interaction
Featured White Papers
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...