News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Two-thirds of global mobile Internet population use Android
As the mobile world awaits the first Android phone from Nokia, the latest GlobalWebIndex figures show two-thirds of the global mobile Internet population are now using Android, significantly ahead of Apple.
A survey of 170,000 people across 32 markets, representing 89% of the global Internet population, reveals that 65% are now using Android with just 20% using Apple's iOS - a 270% increase in Android use in the last 2 years.
The biggest rises were seen in Asia, particularly in South Korea, China and Malaysia. In the U.S., however, Apple's iOS continues to account for a much higher than average share of the market with 42%, followed by Australia (40%) and Canada (37%).
In terms of handset preferences, Samsung was the most popular with 36% global penetration, followed by Nokia (22%) and iPhone (19%).
Android also boasts the larger market share of tablets - 53% compared to iOS's 40%. Of interest were GlobalWebIndex's stats about tablet sharing. More than half of those surveyed said they shared a tablet with at least one other person. According to Jason Mander, head of trends at GlobalWebIndex, the trend of sharing is common among tablet users but is less common with smarthphones "which are usually considered to be the most 'personal'" of mobile devices.
- SMBs: New labor laws could impact revenue lines
- Ad Roundup: Mobile, video and ecommerce
- Expert: What Google, Amazon announcements mean for marketers
- Survey: SMBs keying into social
- Survey: Brands leaving app money on the table
- Brands: Why you should prep for cyber attacks
- Fun in the Sun: How to Take a Vacation as a Small Business Owner
- Email Roundup: Solutions to increase targeting
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...