News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips to improve social commerce
Many experts believe social commerce will come into its own in 2014 as social media consumers mature and begin looking for more than status updates from friends. How can retailers ensure their social media presence is ready for shoppers ready to make purchases?
Aneesh Desikan is the social practice lead and manager of digital marketing at Acquity Group, an Accenture Interactive company.
The first step is to focuse on creating conversation, not pushing a sales, no matter the social channel.
"According to our B2C study, 30% of women are most likely to purchase from a new retailer based on the recommendation of a friend or family member. This demonstrates that social purchase has its roots in engagement with trusted sources, not advertising," said Desikan."
Next, define a strategy with a hyper-targeted approach so that the retailer is focused on specific markets and their interests. In the social space a more targeted approach is best because people use social networks differently than the general web.
"In order to concentrate on specific markets with a high level of interest, the first step is to determine the desired target market in line with website and conversion demographics. Along with a defined target market, creative must be engaging and relevant. Across our clients, social traffic to the websites increased by an average of 88% for the months that we ran hyper-targeted campaigns," said Desikan.
Finally, direct potential customers straight to the product page through a "call to action". That call to action should be as direct as possible because social calls for a more frictionless path to payment. Desikan notes that nearly all of Acquity Group's client web visits from social networks happened when product ads were direct-linked to specific product pages.
Image via Shutterstock
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...