News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Shopping via PC falls in favor of mobile
As shopping has moved into the online space, physical stores have seen a downturn in traffic. However, as new international research from PricewaterhouseCoopers reveals, it's the turn of the PC to suffer as consumers shift their shopping behavior to mobile.
In their study, 'Achieving total retail: consumer expectations driving the next retail business model' 15,000 online shoppers from 15 countries were surveyed during August and September 2013.
The findings reveal that the share of trade of physical stores continues to fall, down 5% on 2012. However, the use of PCs to shop was also down - a drop of 7% in 2013 compared to 2012.
Meanwhile, the use of mobile to shop was up significantly - 46% - but the use of tablets to shop rose even more - by 56%.
"Consumers are choosing the shopping method that suits them best," said Matthew Tod, UK retail and digital partner at PricewaterhouseCoopers. "Whilst store decline has been visible for a number of years, it now seems to be the turn of the PC to suffer as consumer shopping behavior continues to evolve."
Another interesting finding from the research is that most shoppers (57%) are choosing to stick with five or less retailers with which they regularly shop. When asked the reason for choosing their top three retailers or brands, 85% cited trust, ahead of price (79%).
"Given the rise in cyber-crime and consumer concern about personal data, this finding highlights the need for retailers to take more action to protect their reputation," said Tod.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to ensure content is global-ready
- Survey: SMBs missing out by not being online
- Report: State of mobile travel
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...