News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Reports: Mobile hopping for advertisers, developers
Look for more strategy in the app space. That according to new data out from Millennial Media which indicates more app developers will be strategizing for better monetization over the coming year. This as more consumers switch or upgrade into the smartphone and tablet spaces.
According to the 2014 State of the Apps Industry Snapshot from Millennial Media:
• 60% of those surveyed plan to publish at least 5 apps in 2014
• 80% are now publishing to Android platforms
• 78% of iOS developers say they'll develop apps for Android this year
• 74% of developers build 'universal' apps - for both smartphone and tablet usage
• 83% are monetizing apps
Advertising and paid downloads are the most popular ways app developers are monetizing their creations. Of those not currently monetizing apps nearly half (46%) say they will develop a strategy for this in 2014. Ads, by the way, look bullish to many developers who say they expect to earn more from in-app advertising over the next year.
As for which devices are hottest, Apple remains the top smartphone manufacturer with a 41% OEM market share according to comScore (December 2013) however Android has the larges smartphone platform with a 51% market share.
Once on the mobile web the majority of users head to Google sites, including YouTube (88% reach) followed by Facebook (86% reach) and Yahoo sites (82% reach). The hottest apps are Facebook (77% reach) and Google Play (53% reach); both Google Search (49% reach) and Pandora Radio (47% reach) were in the top five.
Image via Shutterstock
- Time watching TV remains the same, but different
- Optimove integration allows targeted campaigns via Google Ads
- Brands: How speech analytics can work for you
- Study reveals SMBs don't know credit scores
- Expert: How ad blocking can work for brands
- All hail Uber
- Social media platforms failing to adequately monitor hate speech
- Top 4 email worst practices and solutions
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...