News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Reports: Mobile hopping for advertisers, developers
Look for more strategy in the app space. That according to new data out from Millennial Media which indicates more app developers will be strategizing for better monetization over the coming year. This as more consumers switch or upgrade into the smartphone and tablet spaces.
According to the 2014 State of the Apps Industry Snapshot from Millennial Media:
• 60% of those surveyed plan to publish at least 5 apps in 2014
• 80% are now publishing to Android platforms
• 78% of iOS developers say they'll develop apps for Android this year
• 74% of developers build 'universal' apps - for both smartphone and tablet usage
• 83% are monetizing apps
Advertising and paid downloads are the most popular ways app developers are monetizing their creations. Of those not currently monetizing apps nearly half (46%) say they will develop a strategy for this in 2014. Ads, by the way, look bullish to many developers who say they expect to earn more from in-app advertising over the next year.
As for which devices are hottest, Apple remains the top smartphone manufacturer with a 41% OEM market share according to comScore (December 2013) however Android has the larges smartphone platform with a 51% market share.
Once on the mobile web the majority of users head to Google sites, including YouTube (88% reach) followed by Facebook (86% reach) and Yahoo sites (82% reach). The hottest apps are Facebook (77% reach) and Google Play (53% reach); both Google Search (49% reach) and Pandora Radio (47% reach) were in the top five.
Image via Shutterstock
- Poll: SMBs worried over benefits, pay
- Expert: Tips for better small business expansion
- Mobile Roundup: Breaking down app, game installs
- 'Adblockalypse' now?
- Mobile drives fastest UK digital ad growth rate in 7 years
- Product page conversion rates average 8%
- Snapchat beats Facebook for daily video views
- Global study reveals 'authenticity deficit' among brands
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...