News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Reports: Mobile hopping for advertisers, developers
Look for more strategy in the app space. That according to new data out from Millennial Media which indicates more app developers will be strategizing for better monetization over the coming year. This as more consumers switch or upgrade into the smartphone and tablet spaces.
According to the 2014 State of the Apps Industry Snapshot from Millennial Media:
• 60% of those surveyed plan to publish at least 5 apps in 2014
• 80% are now publishing to Android platforms
• 78% of iOS developers say they'll develop apps for Android this year
• 74% of developers build 'universal' apps - for both smartphone and tablet usage
• 83% are monetizing apps
Advertising and paid downloads are the most popular ways app developers are monetizing their creations. Of those not currently monetizing apps nearly half (46%) say they will develop a strategy for this in 2014. Ads, by the way, look bullish to many developers who say they expect to earn more from in-app advertising over the next year.
As for which devices are hottest, Apple remains the top smartphone manufacturer with a 41% OEM market share according to comScore (December 2013) however Android has the larges smartphone platform with a 51% market share.
Once on the mobile web the majority of users head to Google sites, including YouTube (88% reach) followed by Facebook (86% reach) and Yahoo sites (82% reach). The hottest apps are Facebook (77% reach) and Google Play (53% reach); both Google Search (49% reach) and Pandora Radio (47% reach) were in the top five.
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...