News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Reports: Mobile hopping for advertisers, developers
Look for more strategy in the app space. That according to new data out from Millennial Media which indicates more app developers will be strategizing for better monetization over the coming year. This as more consumers switch or upgrade into the smartphone and tablet spaces.
According to the 2014 State of the Apps Industry Snapshot from Millennial Media:
• 60% of those surveyed plan to publish at least 5 apps in 2014
• 80% are now publishing to Android platforms
• 78% of iOS developers say they'll develop apps for Android this year
• 74% of developers build 'universal' apps - for both smartphone and tablet usage
• 83% are monetizing apps
Advertising and paid downloads are the most popular ways app developers are monetizing their creations. Of those not currently monetizing apps nearly half (46%) say they will develop a strategy for this in 2014. Ads, by the way, look bullish to many developers who say they expect to earn more from in-app advertising over the next year.
As for which devices are hottest, Apple remains the top smartphone manufacturer with a 41% OEM market share according to comScore (December 2013) however Android has the larges smartphone platform with a 51% market share.
Once on the mobile web the majority of users head to Google sites, including YouTube (88% reach) followed by Facebook (86% reach) and Yahoo sites (82% reach). The hottest apps are Facebook (77% reach) and Google Play (53% reach); both Google Search (49% reach) and Pandora Radio (47% reach) were in the top five.
Image via Shutterstock
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...