News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nexage: 2013 holidays pushed more brands into mobile
Just over $46 billion was spent online over the 2013 holidays according to comScore, and mobile was a nice slice of the retail pie. Bigcommerce reports mobile spending was up by about 50% over the holiday season. The big news, however, isn't that consumers are spending via mobile - but that retailers and other brands are beginning to catch up to those consumers through mobile advertising.
New data out from Nexage indicates the 2013 holidays weren't just a time for shoppers to reap online and mobile rewards, but for brands to push farther into the mobile space. According to their survey more than one-third of executives believe mobile (phone-based and tablet-based) screens are strategic for their overall campaigns. Some interesting findings from the data, which focused on the Nexage Exchange, include:
• Total mobile spending (all advertisers) increased 80%
• Between October and December 2013 the Brand Spend increased 153%
"During the 2013 holiday season, retailers aggressively embraced mobile advertising to adapt tothe consumer shift and drive both m-commerce and in-store sales," was written in the Nexage report. "Mobile advertising spend by retailers on the Nexage Exchange reflected consumer behavior during this time:
• A ramp up through Black Friday: Spend on Black Friday was 29% higher than the daily average in the preceding weekend and 21% higher than the daily average in the following week.
• A focus on weekends: During the three weeks after Black Friday, daily retail spend more than doubled (103%) on Saturdays, as compared to other days."
What does this mean for brands? Nexage's experts believe this growth cycle points to a shift in how advertisers and brands spend ad dollars; mobile spending is expected to push past online spending by 2017.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, targeting to give brands more insights
- Expert: Why surveys may not offer all advertisers' questions
- Expert: Look for native to continue strong growth
- U.S. in-store and mobile retail experience found wanting
- Brits more interested in smart home tech than wearable tech
- Is TripAdvisor a gateway app?
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to increase viewability, deflate fraud
- Expert: The most important social metrics for brands
Featured White Papers