News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Miniscule number of mobile gamers contribute to in-game revenues
The vast majority of mobile gamers playing freemium games never contribute to revenue through in-game purchases, according to new research from mobile app analytics platform Swrve.
In its first ever Mobile Games Monetization Report, Swrve reveals that a tiny percentage of mobile gamers account for half of all monthly revenues via in-game purchases.
While the number of players that actually do make a purchase is very low - 1.5% of players active in a month - those 'whales' or lucrative group of gamers who spend outsized amounts of money on virtual currency make up only .15% yet account for half of all revenues.
"What's interesting is that while many consider that the freemium model to be successful, there is still surprisingly little data relating to exactly how consumers interact with freemium games," said Swrve CEO Hugh Reynolds. "With access of ten's of millions of players, we have aggregated data from across our system to finally lift the lid on what goes on after install - and where the money is made."
Other key findings from Swrve's report include:
- Half (49%) of those who make a purchase do so only once per calendar month;
- 13% of paying players make five or more purchases;
- The average time to purchase is under 24 hours, the period during which a significant amount of spend activity takes place;
- Purchases of between $1 and $5 represent the majority (67%) yet contribute only 27% of total revenue.
- The average value of an in-game purchase is $5.94.
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...