News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Marchex: SMBs lose half-billion to spam calls
The Do Not Call Registry may be helping consumers control who calls them and for what reasons, but where businesses are concerned, especially SMBs, adver-calls - or SPAM calls - are on the rise. And cutting into the revenue lines, too, according to new data out from Marchex.
The cost of unwanted phone calls to small businesses across the US are primarily in the areas of lost productivity, but that lost productivity still comes at a cost. According to new data out from Marchex SPAM phone calls are costing small businesses about a half-billion dollars per year. Between January 2013 and January 2014 the number of detected and blocked calls increased more than 160%.
"Unlike spam emails, which can be ignored, spam calls are highly disruptive and costly for businesses that rely on phone calls for sales," said Jason Flaks, Director of Product and Engineering at Marchex. "This growing epidemic hits small businesses the hardest. Fortunately, there are now solutions to address the problem head-on. Small businesses are vital to our national economy and they can now take steps to reduce the amount of unwanted calls they get."
Some interesting takeaways from the Marchex report include:
• On average spam calls last 2 minutes
• Spam calls waste 20 million working hours each year for SMBs
• Small businesses are effected more than larger businesses because most don't use call centers to direct incoming calls
How can small businesses better protect themselves? First Marchex suggests immediately asking for the caller's name and the reason for the call. Then ask to be put on that company's internal Do Not Call list. Finally, if the call will not release the line, hang up on them.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...