News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Marchex: SMBs lose half-billion to spam calls
The Do Not Call Registry may be helping consumers control who calls them and for what reasons, but where businesses are concerned, especially SMBs, adver-calls - or SPAM calls - are on the rise. And cutting into the revenue lines, too, according to new data out from Marchex.
The cost of unwanted phone calls to small businesses across the US are primarily in the areas of lost productivity, but that lost productivity still comes at a cost. According to new data out from Marchex SPAM phone calls are costing small businesses about a half-billion dollars per year. Between January 2013 and January 2014 the number of detected and blocked calls increased more than 160%.
"Unlike spam emails, which can be ignored, spam calls are highly disruptive and costly for businesses that rely on phone calls for sales," said Jason Flaks, Director of Product and Engineering at Marchex. "This growing epidemic hits small businesses the hardest. Fortunately, there are now solutions to address the problem head-on. Small businesses are vital to our national economy and they can now take steps to reduce the amount of unwanted calls they get."
Some interesting takeaways from the Marchex report include:
• On average spam calls last 2 minutes
• Spam calls waste 20 million working hours each year for SMBs
• Small businesses are effected more than larger businesses because most don't use call centers to direct incoming calls
How can small businesses better protect themselves? First Marchex suggests immediately asking for the caller's name and the reason for the call. Then ask to be put on that company's internal Do Not Call list. Finally, if the call will not release the line, hang up on them.
Image via Shutterstock
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
Featured White Papers
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...