News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Lack of product information turning online shoppers away
Digital media is transforming consumer expectations of product information, according to a new survey from GS1 UK, and many abandon a purchase when not enough information is provided.
The new research from GS1 UK, a UK-based not-for-profit organization committed to standardizing global location, transport and trading standards, reveals that 42% of 2,000 shoppers surveyed have abandoned an online purchase due to a lack of information provided.
"The benefits of product information standards for retailers, manufacturers and most importantly consumers, cannot be underestimated," says David Smith, solutions manager, digital at GS1 UK.
A quarter (24%) of shoppers said they don't trust product information provided online as much as they do that given in-store and 50% have abandoned an online purchase because they don't trust the retailer.
"In the online environment," said Smith, "missing key information used for product identification is the equivalent of being out-of-stock in a physical store."
In an effort to address the problem GS1 UK is working to develop global industry standards that can be implemented across all media channels including online, mobile and offline. Barcodes could provide the information shoppers demand and ensure seamless and consistent experiences across all channels.
"There's no doubt that the rapid pace of digital and social media will continue to transform the way consumers think, behave and interact with each other and with businesses," said Smith. "For the retail sector, the implications are huge. Brand leaders of tomorrow will need to provide a seamless, integrated and trusted purchasing experience across channels, or risk losing out to others that do."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...