News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Lack of product information turning online shoppers away
Digital media is transforming consumer expectations of product information, according to a new survey from GS1 UK, and many abandon a purchase when not enough information is provided.
The new research from GS1 UK, a UK-based not-for-profit organization committed to standardizing global location, transport and trading standards, reveals that 42% of 2,000 shoppers surveyed have abandoned an online purchase due to a lack of information provided.
"The benefits of product information standards for retailers, manufacturers and most importantly consumers, cannot be underestimated," says David Smith, solutions manager, digital at GS1 UK.
A quarter (24%) of shoppers said they don't trust product information provided online as much as they do that given in-store and 50% have abandoned an online purchase because they don't trust the retailer.
"In the online environment," said Smith, "missing key information used for product identification is the equivalent of being out-of-stock in a physical store."
In an effort to address the problem GS1 UK is working to develop global industry standards that can be implemented across all media channels including online, mobile and offline. Barcodes could provide the information shoppers demand and ensure seamless and consistent experiences across all channels.
"There's no doubt that the rapid pace of digital and social media will continue to transform the way consumers think, behave and interact with each other and with businesses," said Smith. "For the retail sector, the implications are huge. Brand leaders of tomorrow will need to provide a seamless, integrated and trusted purchasing experience across channels, or risk losing out to others that do."
Image via Shutterstock
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...