News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Lack of product information turning online shoppers away
Digital media is transforming consumer expectations of product information, according to a new survey from GS1 UK, and many abandon a purchase when not enough information is provided.
The new research from GS1 UK, a UK-based not-for-profit organization committed to standardizing global location, transport and trading standards, reveals that 42% of 2,000 shoppers surveyed have abandoned an online purchase due to a lack of information provided.
"The benefits of product information standards for retailers, manufacturers and most importantly consumers, cannot be underestimated," says David Smith, solutions manager, digital at GS1 UK.
A quarter (24%) of shoppers said they don't trust product information provided online as much as they do that given in-store and 50% have abandoned an online purchase because they don't trust the retailer.
"In the online environment," said Smith, "missing key information used for product identification is the equivalent of being out-of-stock in a physical store."
In an effort to address the problem GS1 UK is working to develop global industry standards that can be implemented across all media channels including online, mobile and offline. Barcodes could provide the information shoppers demand and ensure seamless and consistent experiences across all channels.
"There's no doubt that the rapid pace of digital and social media will continue to transform the way consumers think, behave and interact with each other and with businesses," said Smith. "For the retail sector, the implications are huge. Brand leaders of tomorrow will need to provide a seamless, integrated and trusted purchasing experience across channels, or risk losing out to others that do."
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
- How dark social can impact brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...