News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Lack of product information turning online shoppers away
Digital media is transforming consumer expectations of product information, according to a new survey from GS1 UK, and many abandon a purchase when not enough information is provided.
The new research from GS1 UK, a UK-based not-for-profit organization committed to standardizing global location, transport and trading standards, reveals that 42% of 2,000 shoppers surveyed have abandoned an online purchase due to a lack of information provided.
"The benefits of product information standards for retailers, manufacturers and most importantly consumers, cannot be underestimated," says David Smith, solutions manager, digital at GS1 UK.
A quarter (24%) of shoppers said they don't trust product information provided online as much as they do that given in-store and 50% have abandoned an online purchase because they don't trust the retailer.
"In the online environment," said Smith, "missing key information used for product identification is the equivalent of being out-of-stock in a physical store."
In an effort to address the problem GS1 UK is working to develop global industry standards that can be implemented across all media channels including online, mobile and offline. Barcodes could provide the information shoppers demand and ensure seamless and consistent experiences across all channels.
"There's no doubt that the rapid pace of digital and social media will continue to transform the way consumers think, behave and interact with each other and with businesses," said Smith. "For the retail sector, the implications are huge. Brand leaders of tomorrow will need to provide a seamless, integrated and trusted purchasing experience across channels, or risk losing out to others that do."
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...