News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Lack of product information turning online shoppers away
Digital media is transforming consumer expectations of product information, according to a new survey from GS1 UK, and many abandon a purchase when not enough information is provided.
The new research from GS1 UK, a UK-based not-for-profit organization committed to standardizing global location, transport and trading standards, reveals that 42% of 2,000 shoppers surveyed have abandoned an online purchase due to a lack of information provided.
"The benefits of product information standards for retailers, manufacturers and most importantly consumers, cannot be underestimated," says David Smith, solutions manager, digital at GS1 UK.
A quarter (24%) of shoppers said they don't trust product information provided online as much as they do that given in-store and 50% have abandoned an online purchase because they don't trust the retailer.
"In the online environment," said Smith, "missing key information used for product identification is the equivalent of being out-of-stock in a physical store."
In an effort to address the problem GS1 UK is working to develop global industry standards that can be implemented across all media channels including online, mobile and offline. Barcodes could provide the information shoppers demand and ensure seamless and consistent experiences across all channels.
"There's no doubt that the rapid pace of digital and social media will continue to transform the way consumers think, behave and interact with each other and with businesses," said Smith. "For the retail sector, the implications are huge. Brand leaders of tomorrow will need to provide a seamless, integrated and trusted purchasing experience across channels, or risk losing out to others that do."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...