News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Lack of product information turning online shoppers away
Digital media is transforming consumer expectations of product information, according to a new survey from GS1 UK, and many abandon a purchase when not enough information is provided.
The new research from GS1 UK, a UK-based not-for-profit organization committed to standardizing global location, transport and trading standards, reveals that 42% of 2,000 shoppers surveyed have abandoned an online purchase due to a lack of information provided.
"The benefits of product information standards for retailers, manufacturers and most importantly consumers, cannot be underestimated," says David Smith, solutions manager, digital at GS1 UK.
A quarter (24%) of shoppers said they don't trust product information provided online as much as they do that given in-store and 50% have abandoned an online purchase because they don't trust the retailer.
"In the online environment," said Smith, "missing key information used for product identification is the equivalent of being out-of-stock in a physical store."
In an effort to address the problem GS1 UK is working to develop global industry standards that can be implemented across all media channels including online, mobile and offline. Barcodes could provide the information shoppers demand and ensure seamless and consistent experiences across all channels.
"There's no doubt that the rapid pace of digital and social media will continue to transform the way consumers think, behave and interact with each other and with businesses," said Smith. "For the retail sector, the implications are huge. Brand leaders of tomorrow will need to provide a seamless, integrated and trusted purchasing experience across channels, or risk losing out to others that do."
Image via Shutterstock
- Research reveals which website image format results in happier visitors
- Location accuracy analysis reveals improvement for mobile ad campaigns
- Research reveals Millennials' attitudes toward brands
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...