News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How to tell if traffic is bot-related
According to experts as much as 15% of all online ad impressions are bot-driven, amounting to a lost $42 billion each year for advertisers, publishers and brands. Ever wonder how to tell if traffic is bot related or from actual humans who are visiting a site to read the content, research a product or make a purchase? CPXi is launching the BotWatch website, set up to help brands better understand what is happening on their websites.
According to Solve Media botnets will steal close to $12 billion from ad budgets this year; that is an increase of more than 20% YoY. However the news about advertising fraud, which many times stems from botnets, isn't all bad. Integral Ad Science says the level of fraud within advertising exchanges is down from 2012 by 30%; this while ad viewability and brand safety have improved.
Back to the botnets - how can they be spotted? By looking at three signals.
First, site overlap. According to CPXi's BotWatch bot browsers are seen visiting 'sets' of websites on a regular basis. Human traffic, meanwhile, spreads out their site visits.
Second, browsing behavior.
"Bots often visit the same site in rapid-fire succession, as opposed to humans who don't browse as fast and revisit in patterns stretching over hours and days," writes CPXi.
Third, same browser behavior. While humans visit website from a number of browsers, both mobile and PC based, bots will usually only visit from a specific browser or two.
- Report: Biggest engagement not happening Black Friday/Cyber Monday
- Expert: How to determine what goes in a subscription box
- Expert IDs how retailers can make more this holiday
- Time spent using apps on the rise
- Christmas Day the busiest for mobile
- Delivery options determine where online shoppers will shop
- Expert: Why brands should consider the subscription box
- Retail trends to watch for 2017
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...