News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook embraces diversity with addition of 'custom' gender options
Facebook wants its users to be able to express their true self. To this end, they have introduced around 50 different terms as an alternative to the basic gender terms of male or female.
The social network is making it easier for users to express their sexuality. While the change might not mean much to the majority of users, for those such as Facebook software engineer Brielle Harrison, currently undergoing gender transformation, the move would "mean the world" for the few it does impact.
According to a Post on its 'Diversity' Page, Facebook says, "We collaborated with our Network of Support, a group of leading LGBT advocacy organizations, to offer an extensive list of gender identities that many people use to describe themselves. Moreover, people who select a custom gender will now have the ability to choose the pronoun they'd like to be referred to publicly -- male (he/his), female (she/her) or neutral (they/their)."
Around 50 'custom' options will be made available to U.S. English users of Facebook, including bi-gender, intersex, neutral, transgender, cis man or two-spirit.
"We also have added the ability for people to control the audience with whom they want to share their custom gender," informs Facebook. "We recognize that some people face challenges sharing their true gender identity with others, and this setting gives people the ability to express themselves in an authentic way."
ReadWriteWeb has identified 56 different custom settings for gender:
Female to Male
Male to Female
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...