News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook embraces diversity with addition of 'custom' gender options
Facebook wants its users to be able to express their true self. To this end, they have introduced around 50 different terms as an alternative to the basic gender terms of male or female.
The social network is making it easier for users to express their sexuality. While the change might not mean much to the majority of users, for those such as Facebook software engineer Brielle Harrison, currently undergoing gender transformation, the move would "mean the world" for the few it does impact.
According to a Post on its 'Diversity' Page, Facebook says, "We collaborated with our Network of Support, a group of leading LGBT advocacy organizations, to offer an extensive list of gender identities that many people use to describe themselves. Moreover, people who select a custom gender will now have the ability to choose the pronoun they'd like to be referred to publicly -- male (he/his), female (she/her) or neutral (they/their)."
Around 50 'custom' options will be made available to U.S. English users of Facebook, including bi-gender, intersex, neutral, transgender, cis man or two-spirit.
"We also have added the ability for people to control the audience with whom they want to share their custom gender," informs Facebook. "We recognize that some people face challenges sharing their true gender identity with others, and this setting gives people the ability to express themselves in an authentic way."
ReadWriteWeb has identified 56 different custom settings for gender:
Female to Male
Male to Female
Image via Shutterstock
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...