News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook embraces diversity with addition of 'custom' gender options
Facebook wants its users to be able to express their true self. To this end, they have introduced around 50 different terms as an alternative to the basic gender terms of male or female.
The social network is making it easier for users to express their sexuality. While the change might not mean much to the majority of users, for those such as Facebook software engineer Brielle Harrison, currently undergoing gender transformation, the move would "mean the world" for the few it does impact.
According to a Post on its 'Diversity' Page, Facebook says, "We collaborated with our Network of Support, a group of leading LGBT advocacy organizations, to offer an extensive list of gender identities that many people use to describe themselves. Moreover, people who select a custom gender will now have the ability to choose the pronoun they'd like to be referred to publicly -- male (he/his), female (she/her) or neutral (they/their)."
Around 50 'custom' options will be made available to U.S. English users of Facebook, including bi-gender, intersex, neutral, transgender, cis man or two-spirit.
"We also have added the ability for people to control the audience with whom they want to share their custom gender," informs Facebook. "We recognize that some people face challenges sharing their true gender identity with others, and this setting gives people the ability to express themselves in an authentic way."
ReadWriteWeb has identified 56 different custom settings for gender:
Female to Male
Male to Female
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...