News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook embraces diversity with addition of 'custom' gender options
Facebook wants its users to be able to express their true self. To this end, they have introduced around 50 different terms as an alternative to the basic gender terms of male or female.
The social network is making it easier for users to express their sexuality. While the change might not mean much to the majority of users, for those such as Facebook software engineer Brielle Harrison, currently undergoing gender transformation, the move would "mean the world" for the few it does impact.
According to a Post on its 'Diversity' Page, Facebook says, "We collaborated with our Network of Support, a group of leading LGBT advocacy organizations, to offer an extensive list of gender identities that many people use to describe themselves. Moreover, people who select a custom gender will now have the ability to choose the pronoun they'd like to be referred to publicly -- male (he/his), female (she/her) or neutral (they/their)."
Around 50 'custom' options will be made available to U.S. English users of Facebook, including bi-gender, intersex, neutral, transgender, cis man or two-spirit.
"We also have added the ability for people to control the audience with whom they want to share their custom gender," informs Facebook. "We recognize that some people face challenges sharing their true gender identity with others, and this setting gives people the ability to express themselves in an authentic way."
ReadWriteWeb has identified 56 different custom settings for gender:
Female to Male
Male to Female
Image via Shutterstock
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
- Trends to watch for video in 2017
- 78% of over-55s uncomfortable with concept of stores run by robots
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...