News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook embraces diversity with addition of 'custom' gender options
Facebook wants its users to be able to express their true self. To this end, they have introduced around 50 different terms as an alternative to the basic gender terms of male or female.
The social network is making it easier for users to express their sexuality. While the change might not mean much to the majority of users, for those such as Facebook software engineer Brielle Harrison, currently undergoing gender transformation, the move would "mean the world" for the few it does impact.
According to a Post on its 'Diversity' Page, Facebook says, "We collaborated with our Network of Support, a group of leading LGBT advocacy organizations, to offer an extensive list of gender identities that many people use to describe themselves. Moreover, people who select a custom gender will now have the ability to choose the pronoun they'd like to be referred to publicly -- male (he/his), female (she/her) or neutral (they/their)."
Around 50 'custom' options will be made available to U.S. English users of Facebook, including bi-gender, intersex, neutral, transgender, cis man or two-spirit.
"We also have added the ability for people to control the audience with whom they want to share their custom gender," informs Facebook. "We recognize that some people face challenges sharing their true gender identity with others, and this setting gives people the ability to express themselves in an authentic way."
ReadWriteWeb has identified 56 different custom settings for gender:
Female to Male
Male to Female
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....